What parasite is that?

chariton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello today I saw one of my clowns o the surface trying to swim. I think it’s brooklynella. Maybe I am wrong. Any ideas? Will this affect other fish in tank?the only thing I mention is rapid breathing on my zebrasoma veliferum.

IMG_7563.jpeg IMG_7551.jpeg IMG_7550.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7552.mov
    13.6 MB
  • IMG_7561.mov
    11.7 MB

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The videos won’t play (try adding them as a YouTube link), but being a clown, brookynella is always a possibility. The clown is very thin - has it been eating?
The hazy film does look like brook.
It is contagious and can affect all fish in the tank.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming brook, Formalin is the treatment of choice - ruby reef rally also works (it contains acriflavine) and may be easier to get.
Treatment will be best done for all fish in qt and allowing the tank to remain fallow for 6 weeks.

OP
OP
C

chariton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming brook, Formalin is the treatment of choice - ruby reef rally also works (it contains acriflavine) and may be easier to get.
Treatment will be best done for all fish in qt and allowing the tank to remain fallow for 6 weeks.
It’s a bit difficult I think to get all the fish out of my tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello today I saw one of my clowns o the surface trying to swim. I think it’s brooklynella. Maybe I am wrong. Any ideas? Will this affect other fish in tank?the only thing I mention is rapid breathing on my zebrasoma veliferum.

IMG_7563.jpeg IMG_7551.jpeg IMG_7550.jpeg
This fish has brooklynella but also is quite thin.
Is it eating at all?
Youre likely not going to find formalin and not sure why still recommended unless you buy pharmaceutical grade and have to dilute it, etc. The most significant sign is the amount of slime and thick mucus on its body and generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater but is very hard as mentioned to find, so temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water the same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.

OP
OP
C

chariton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do t have qt tank ready. My question is ruby rally reef safe to do the treatment in display tank?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back