What part of equipment should I buy first ?

Infern0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Guys,

first...sorry for my english,

second...I am new to reefing hobby :)

So, I have a Red Sea Reefer 250 with the folowing equipment : 2 x MP 40 , 2x AI Hydra 26 , 1x Vectra M1, Nyos 120 Skimmer , Tunze ATO , JBL UVC clearer, Pacific Sun Pro S Algae Reaktor, Aqua Medic Dual Controller with heather and cooler.

I have just received 700€ gift Card to buy whatever I want from one of my LFS .

Now that´s a tough Question for me as I want to buy so many things but as I am new to the Hobby I really don´t know what would help me the moust and I´m sure that more experienced reefers cand help me choose what would be the best thing to buy . I have to mention that my Tank it´s not running yet, i hope that next week I will start running it. I am planning to have a mixed reef tank .

This is the list of what I´m thinking buying ( please feel free to write other equipment too)

1. 2x Ecotech Radeon XR 15 Pro ( is it worth upgrading my Hydras? )
2. Pacific Sun Pro V2 Calcium Reaktor
3. 4x Ecotech Versa dosing pumps
4. GHL KH Director + Doser 2.1

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you are thinking of upgrading your lights do that and sell the hydras and them with that money get one of the other items you want.

Win win :)

rob s.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Guys,

first...sorry for my english,

second...I am new to reefing hobby :)

So, I have a Red Sea Reefer 250 with the folowing equipment : 2 x MP 40 , 2x AI Hydra 26 , 1x Vectra M1, Nyos 120 Skimmer , Tunze ATO , JBL UVC clearer, Pacific Sun Pro S Algae Reaktor, Aqua Medic Dual Controller with heather and cooler.

I have just received 700€ gift Card to buy whatever I want from one of my LFS .

Now that´s a tough Question for me as I want to buy so many things but as I am new to the Hobby I really don´t know what would help me the moust and I´m sure that more experienced reefers cand help me choose what would be the best thing to buy . I have to mention that my Tank it´s not running yet, i hope that next week I will start running it. I am planning to have a mixed reef tank .

This is the list of what I´m thinking buying ( please feel free to write other equipment too)

1. 2x Ecotech Radeon XR 15 Pro ( is it worth upgrading my Hydras? )
2. Pacific Sun Pro V2 Calcium Reaktor
3. 4x Ecotech Versa dosing pumps
4. GHL KH Director + Doser 2.1
why don't you first set up your tank, let it cycle and then see how your water parameters settle in. No sense in buying un needed equipment at this point......

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe use it to buy livestock? For a new reefer with a tank that isn't wet yet, I wouldn't recommend you buy any of the item you list. The only one of the 4 that would make sense at this point might be upgrading the lights. If you don't have a quarantine tank, maybe set that up?

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are planning to use dKH measurements to dynamically dose supplements (like Triton Method), I recommend GHL KH Director + Doser 2.1. Otherwise get the Versa dosers for supplements. Automated dosing will better stabilize your tank. The lights are just an upgrade and probably not worth it and the calcium reactor is not needed if you are dosing supplements correctly.

OP
OP
I

Infern0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are planning to use dKH measurements to dynamically dose supplements (like Triton Method), I recommend GHL KH Director + Doser 2.1. Otherwise get the Versa dosers for supplements. Automated dosing will better stabilize your tank. The lights are just an upgrade and probably not worth it and the calcium reactor is not needed if you are dosing supplements correctly.
I‘m thinking to use Triton Other Methods, so GHL KG Director would be a better choice. Thank’s for your opinion!

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I‘m thinking to use Triton Other Methods, so GHL KG Director would be a better choice. Thank’s for your opinion!

With a new system being set up and not trying to hijack.
Why Triton other methods over going full triton?
Do you not have a fuge?

OP
OP
I

Infern0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe use it to buy livestock? For a new reefer with a tank that isn't wet yet, I wouldn't recommend you buy any of the item you list. The only one of the 4 that would make sense at this point might be upgrading the lights. If you don't have a quarantine tank, maybe set that up?
[/
With a new system being set up and not trying to hijack.
Why Triton other methods over going full triton?
Do you not have a fuge?
i don‘t have a fuge, just an algae reaktor , the Red Sea Reefer 250 V1 Sump its very small

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run full Triton with a reactor, it works very well. YMMV.

As you have a RO/DI then I would go with the controller.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Doser and/or calcium reactor

Great job on English. Heck, I understood you easier than some of the people at work who are fluent in English

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say get a Apex or GHL depending on what suits your interests. Hydras are great lights to begin with but if you really want to get radions, that would be a great option as well! You might accually be able to buy a second hand Apex selling the hydras.

OP
OP
I

Infern0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS doesn‘t sell any of Neptune Systems products. In Europe it‘s really hard to get hands of an Apex controller . I have to choose an GHL unit or Kore 7th KHLAB edition from Pacific Sun

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS doesn‘t sell any of Neptune Systems products. In Europe it‘s really hard to get hands of an Apex controller . I have to choose an GHL unit or Kore 7th KHLAB edition from Pacific Sun
GHLs are great units from what I hear (doses are top notch). Don't have any experience with them tho. I do know they are a bit less intuitive with the user interface

OP
OP
I

Infern0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doser and/or calcium reactor

Great job on English. Heck, I understood you easier than some of the people at work who are fluent in English
I really like the mini V2 Pro calcium reactor from Pacific Sun but it‘s not so popular and I‘ve read some realy bad comments about their first models of calcium reactors

RC Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't buy anything your tank doesn't "need". If something isn't "wrong" your tank doesn't need anything more.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you already have good equipment, I'd use the gift card to buy test kits, glass cleaner, net, salt, maybe backup return pump & heater etc.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back