What phosphate removal media are you using?

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use rowaphos and haven't found anything else that works half as well for reducing phosphates. Expensive, but well worth it IMO.

I have read a lot of good things about Rowaphos...i think once my BRS GFO runs out i may give this a try. Glad to hear it works well for you too.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I did not know that I will have to keep that in mind as my clam collection is always growing. Thank you for the info.

Yep the Phosguard is aluminum based where as the others are iron based and for some reason the iron stresses clams.

I should also add that I use Poly Filter pads as well.

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep the Phosguard is aluminum based where as the others are iron based and for some reason the iron stresses clams.

I should also add that I use Poly Filter pads as well.

I always run a poly-filer in my tank ever since my run in with slight Cu contamination. It was a tank and life saver.

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think of them as an extra insurance policy, they are great for what they do.

Yes they are. I buy the 12"x12" pads and cut it to fit between my bubble trap baffles. I also replace them every 2-3 months wether they need it or not. $30 is nothing when it comes o the amount of money I have in my livestock.

patent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Troylee, am I reading that correctly that you could keep phosphates at bay with vodka by itself?

I don't know that it would work for everyone, but this is how I reduced my phosphates. I started vodka dosing, never really had a nitrate issue but did have a phos. issue. Vodka dosing brought the phos down on its own, i wasn't using any media (well, except carbon). I'm using biopellets now, same result, phos. is below .02 ppm consistently. I would actually prefer it slightly higher, but its settled there and the corals are happy.

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Troylee, am I reading that correctly that you could keep phosphates at bay with vodka by itself?

Yup, it works at lowering nitrates as well. It is another form of carbon dosing. Many people have moved to solid carbon dosing with bio pellets. Which work extremely well at creating a ULNS.

Acronymous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using poly filter but that's because I haven't got a ro/di unit yet and my lfs had a tds of 9 and 10. Not sure how good it is at removing "all forms of phosphates" but I rely primarily on my fuge for that

Acronymous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
btw, my phosphates register on the low scale of .08 and I'm fine with the results

OP
OP
Akwarius

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that it would work for everyone, but this is how I reduced my phosphates. I started vodka dosing, never really had a nitrate issue but did have a phos. issue. Vodka dosing brought the phos down on its own, i wasn't using any media (well, except carbon). I'm using biopellets now, same result, phos. is below .02 ppm consistently. I would actually prefer it slightly higher, but its settled there and the corals are happy.

It sounds like liquid and solid carbon dosing have worked really well for you. Im going to try ramping up my pellets and see if that can reduce the phosphates alone.

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like liquid and solid carbon dosing have worked really well for you. Im going to try ramping up my pellets and see if that can reduce the phosphates alone.

As long as you don't increase the amount of pellets in large quantities quickly you will not have any issues with doing that. If you do put a large dose in right away you will have a possible cyano outbreak. How long have you been running your pellets? it also takes time for them to kick in.

OP
OP
Akwarius

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you don't increase the amount of pellets in large quantities quickly you will not have any issues with doing that. If you do put a large dose in right away you will have a possible cyano outbreak. How long have you been running your pellets? it also takes time for them to kick in.

Pray tell, why would I have a sudden cyano outbreak? I've been running ecobak for 10 months along with vinegar dosing.

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pray tell, why would I have a sudden cyano outbreak? I've been running ecobak for 10 months along with vinegar dosing.

Honestly, I don't really know. It just seems to happen sometimes when a large quantity of pellets are added to a system. That is why the instructions and other reefers recommend slowly building up the amount of biopellets you use.

OP
OP
Akwarius

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I don't really know. It just seems to happen sometimes when a large quantity of pellets are added to a system. That is why the instructions and other reefers recommend slowly building up the amount of biopellets you use.

They are referring to a tank without prior populations of carbon consuming bacteria. I will simply be adding a food source and flow to increase my current population.

patent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell you if you'll have cyano or not, but I do get some from time to time, cyano is similar to the bacteria you want in carbon dosing in that they love to eat what we are now giving them.

FWIW, for the last 2 months I've had such a small amount of carbon pellets in my system its laughable. I have about 300 gallons in the system, and I have about a 1/4 cup of pellets in there. I meant to start slow and work up, but for some reason I kept forgetting to add another 1/4 cup, kept forgetting. checked Phos and its still down there. Of course, I had previously ramped up the vodka dosing to get it down, so it makes sense to me that you don't need as much to hold it down once its down, but I'm obviously no where near the recommended dosage. That said, it looked like the pellets were being consumed rather quickly, so I'm starting to ramp up a bit just so I don't have to watch it.

OP
OP
Akwarius

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone else tried the brightwells phosphate E product? If so what were your thoughts

It almost sounds too good to be true. I wonder if the "proprietary phosphate removers" are just another carbon source?

Sandy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rowaphos, in from day 1 of setting up tank

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 65 43.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.8%
Back