What phosphate removal media are you using?

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious what people might be using out there. I've used rowaphos for a long time and love it, though it would be nice to have a less expensive option.

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Seachem Phosgaurd and bulk reef supplies' granulated ferric oxide. The BRS GFO is better tham seachems phosgaurd. WHich one you use really depends on how much phosphates you have in your tank.

milkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EcoBak biopellets. After I ran them six months, then I pulled my BRS reactor and GFO. My phosphate runs about .02

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the BRS carbon and GFO in a media bag together for the time being...i do have a reactor from BRS that i need to hookup soon!

JackoChang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also curious as to what you guys use, using phosban now...but I need mo money for corals.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the BRS carbon and GFO in a media bag together for the time being...i do have a reactor from BRS that i need to hookup soon!

hahah i'm in the same situation. my brs reactor and the container of GFO and Carbon has been looking at me for the past 3 months. not to mention my aquamedic dosing pump. "sigh". man i gotta get my rear in gear and start doing some stuff!

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also curious as to what you guys use, using phosban now...but I need mo money for corals.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

If you are looking for an economical phosphate remover, go with the BRS hi-capacity GFO. It may cost more than other per ounce, but it also does a better job and holds more PO4.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahah i'm in the same situation. my brs reactor and the container of GFO and Carbon has been looking at me for the past 3 months. not to mention my aquamedic dosing pump. "sigh". man i gotta get my rear in gear and start doing some stuff!

I don't feel too bad now lol. Mine has been here maybe a month but I have been a little busy lately lol.

OP
OP
Akwarius

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EcoBak biopellets. After I ran them six months, then I pulled my BRS reactor and GFO. My phosphate runs about .02

That sounds like a pretty good situation. Maybe I should ramp up my pellet usage and keep an eye on things with the hanna meter.

OP
OP
Akwarius

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Troylee, am I reading that correctly that you could keep phosphates at bay with vodka by itself?

OP
OP
Akwarius

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone should market a vodka specifically for aquarium use. "Absolut Reef" or something like that.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Seachem Phosgaurd , all of the others are known to trigger pinched mantle disease in clams so I have had great success with the Phosguard.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS, sometimes the expensive stuff and sometimes the cheap stuff. Just depends on my budget at the time.

Tanked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used all kinds of phosphate removers and the only one that has truly worked for me and a lot of my friends is Ocens Blends phosphate remover. I can't say enough good things about it. No rinsing and does not leach back any impurities if left in past the 1 month mark it says to change by.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use rowaphos and haven't found anything else that works half as well for reducing phosphates. Expensive, but well worth it IMO.

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Seachem Phosgaurd , all of the others are known to trigger pinched mantle disease in clams so I have had great success with the Phosguard.

Really? I did not know that I will have to keep that in mind as my clam collection is always growing. Thank you for the info.

OP
OP
Akwarius

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used all kinds of phosphate removers and the only one that has truly worked for me and a lot of my friends is Ocens Blends phosphate remover. I can't say enough good things about it. No rinsing and does not leach back any impurities if left in past the 1 month mark it says to change by.

I'll have to try this sometime. I like the looks of the aluminum oxide product that claims to reduce brown and film algae so that you spend less time cleaning your glass. We were just having a discussion about that in another thread.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 65 44.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 46.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.8%
Back