What power head, wave maker, gyre?

OceanL0ver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 100 g mostly SPS tank. My jabao wavemaker on one side died today. Wondering what people use for SPS flow. I’ve been looking at gyre and ecotech. I want something that will last a while. Any help appreciated

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Vortechs are basically the perfect pump, wonderful.

Gyres create good flow but I have found they clog way too fast and have to be cleaned frequently.

Tunze has very good pumps and are just as good quality and performance wise with the Vortech but they come in more flavores and can be pointed.

The Neptune WAV pumps are good pumps too, move lots of water.

OP
OP
OceanL0ver

OceanL0ver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the gyre, what size would I need for my tank? Do I need more than one?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your running another pump with the gyre the 250 is plenty powerful. I run the ice cap which isn't as powerful but in my price range and I use it solely in the 75. They move some water for sure.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2, 250 gyres on the 180 . I like them & plenty of flow. I did have to replace a bushing after 1 year .

Kid_Vegas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with bif, I own both pumps and the gyre has great flow patterns but the ecotech has been around longer with a design that allows for no wires in the tank , good flow and requires little maintenance. My gyre gets clean once a month, but the ecotech gets clean once every 6 months.

OP
OP
OceanL0ver

OceanL0ver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with bif, I own both pumps and the gyre has great flow patterns but the ecotech has been around longer with a design that allows for no wires in the tank , good flow and requires little maintenance. My gyre gets clean once a month, but the ecotech gets clean once every 6 months.

What a would I need for 110 gallon SPS? Two MP40? Ecotech have wave modes?

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found using mainly ecotech mp40s supplemented with oversized gyres sitting vertically in the back gives me great flow and helps with the lack of directional control of the vortechs. I've fallen in love with the combo

Kid_Vegas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a would I need for 110 gallon SPS? Two MP40? Ecotech have wave modes?
Two ecotech would be good, and yes it has a wave mode. But either ecotech or maxspect gyre would be fine. It all depends on which one aspect between the two you prefer. That’s what makes this hobby great is there is many options to choose from.

smiley28

Hectorj
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try the Tunze nanostreams? You could get the largest of the nanostream line and place multiple, then direct flow almost anywhere you want. The nanostream has a very small footprint which is appealing and can be controlled.

OP
OP
OceanL0ver

OceanL0ver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noise level is also important. Gyre, Tunis, ecotech- which are most silent?

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech is the quietest. I have 2 and 2 gyres. The gyres are not quiet but if you by them oversized it's not so bad. After about 60% power they are almost unacceptably loud. So keep that in mind

smiley28

Hectorj
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re going to use a Vortech I’d suggest a mp40 or multiple at a lower percentage as well. I have an mp40 and mp10 on a 75 and need more flow then what the mp10 can produce at 50%ish and it’s annoying hearing it now. You may or may not be aware of what the Vortechs sounds like when ramped up so just a forewarning they can also be pretty loud.

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they quiet drives? I run 2 mp40 qd's at 100% on nutrient transport and I can barely hear them. In fact the fans on my ecotech radions are louder

smiley28

Hectorj
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah both are in fact between them and the m1 running in the sealed sump there is so much noise I don’t even sit in my man cave to study and if I go in there to watch a movie I most certainly make sure they are on a constant stream

smiley28

Hectorj
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah both are in fact between them and the m1 running in the sealed sump there is so much noise I don’t even sit in my man cave to study and if I go in there to watch a movie I most certainly make sure they are on a constant stream

I’d also like to add that I added a Sicce Syncra 1 in a nano I’m running and the first day I got it I thought about putting it in a mixing bucket but then I started fiddling with it and found the impeller wasn’t put together completely and kept the intake cover off and the noise is now bearable.. this pump is by my studying spot

Meant to just do an edit

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just answered this a few minutes ago..

I have two 280 gyres for my 240 gallon.. Absolutely love them. I'm running alternating gyre with forward at 20 percent and reverse at 40 percent which is the most my fish will handle without hiding in the rockwork to keep out of the current. It moves practically all the water and I almost have zero dead spots. Very happy customer here..

Maxspect is a great product but in my opinion, nothing moves water like the gyres.

With the exception of one aqueon powerhead to keep a constant flow behind my rock work, the gyres are all I have in my tank[/QUOTE]

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 142 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back