What power head, wave maker, gyre?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running an ice cap gyre, dead silent no matter what power or setting it's on. I wouldn't say ecotech is quietest, I've heard plenty that made noise, even quite drive. If you maintain what you have then it will be pretty quiet no matter what you choose.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a would I need for 110 gallon SPS? Two MP40? Ecotech have wave modes?
You could probably get away with the Icecap 3K Gyre. The thing is super powerful. I have it on a 93 cube and can't run it past 60%. The only thing with Gyres is placement. They have a tendency to blow sand everywhere. I have 2 MP40's and 2 Maxspext 250's for my 180.

reefpea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found using mainly ecotech mp40s supplemented with oversized gyres sitting vertically in the back gives me great flow and helps with the lack of directional control of the vortechs. I've fallen in love with the combo
would be great too see a video of this

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the gyre. I had an ice cap 3k in my 45 cube. I could only run it at 10% in the forward mode. 40% in reverse.

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO the Neptune WAVs are the quietest.
My 1st gen Gyre will run you out of the room, its so noisy.
I cant hear the WAVs running at all and my office is on the small side, roughly 7'x12'.

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two MP40QD's and sold them and went with two of the Gyre 250's on my 4ft tank. For my application with my Acro's the MP's wouldn't work. The direct flow pattern and the placement of my SPS was no Buenos. I switched the the Gyre's, which allowed me to point them up and out at 30% to get the movement I needed without impacting my corals.

As for cleaning them, I dont have to clean them every 30 days that is an exaggeration. The issue with the MP40's and you can see this in all the forums the metal shaft that is covered in Ceramic is rusting and causing issues.

I would say it really depends on what you are wanting to achieve and where your corals are placed in the tank in relationship to where your Wave Pumps will be placed. In my 4 foot tank I was running two MP40QD's, an MP40W converted with new wet side and QD Controller and a Jebo RW8 pump and didn't like the flow. So I switched to the two Gyres and couldn't be happier.

rickster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 100 g mostly SPS tank. My jabao wavemaker on one side died today. Wondering what people use for SPS flow. I’ve been looking at gyre and ecotech. I want something that will last a while. Any help appreciated
FYI,
I'm on my second set of Gyre 230 pumps and controller, It doesn't last. Big waste of Money Maximum lifespan about a year even with cleaning and maintenance Look elsewhere!!!
AND VERY LOUD!, if anyone tells you their silent they must be deaf!

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI,
I'm on my second set of Gyre 230 pumps and controller, It doesn't last. Big waste of Money Maximum lifespan about a year even with cleaning and maintenance Look elsewhere!!!

+1 to disagreeing lol

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI,

Opposite experience here. Mp40 was loud as hell and my xf150 is going strong after a year and a half. I've only cleaned it once

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI,
Must be a lot of deaf people including me. I've heard loud quite drives too. Figure that, all manufactures can make imperfect pumps. Add to the rusting issues popping up on vortechs. Talk about waste of money. Your the first post I've read about only a year lifespan for gyre's. There all good pumps, its what fits your needs best. Could have been an improperly installed bushing when you put it back together.

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI,

I am gonna have to disagree with the waste of money statement.
I have a 1st Gen Gyre that has been running at 70%, non stop for over a year with no issues.
I have been using it to circulate water in a 150 gal rubbermaid vat with live rock.
I'll agree that it isn't the quietest pump out there but by no means, is it trash.

filbie70

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 MP40QD and 1 Jebao gyre on a 220 gal. On a 100, I would definitely recommend 2 MP40s. Before my 220, I had 150 set up with 2 MP40s and the wave action I had and the ability to program a full day cycle with cross flow nutrient cycle during the mid-day and lagoon in the evening and a quiet flow at night. I haven’t had WAV pumps. Although I have connection issues with Ecotech and Apex on my Radions, I haven’t had issues linking my Vortechs. I think you can have confidence and great wave patterns with the Vortechs.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back