what preventive measure do you guys take on canopy mildewing

  • Thread starter Thread starter cpayne015
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

cpayne015

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 28, 2013
Messages
409
Reaction score
6
Location
Tuscaloosa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pretreated both tanks with mildew protection and was wondering if there is anything else I could do. Some days I wake up and lot of water has splashed all over wood and just wonder if I have any alternatives. Thanks in advance
 
When you say splashed on the wood. How wet are we talking? What is making the splash?
 
I painted my entire stand with KILZ before I painted it. But i'm with rob, I can't think of anything in my tank that gets wet nightly to the point of saturation.
 
Its just normal wetness as its not soaked by any means but I have to wipe both canopies every few days to eliminate mildew before builds up
 
put some fans in your canopy (blowing out) and it will keep the humidity lower making wet spots dry faster...
it will increase your evap though
 
put some fans in your canopy (blowing out) and it will keep the humidity lower making wet spots dry faster...
it will increase your evap though

Yeah I'm betting humidity as well. I have 4 120mm fans pulling humidity out of mine.
 
search ebay for 120mm fans. you can use the dc ones with a power adapter from an old phone charger or something. if that isn't your thing you can buy the ac power ones that will plug right into the wall but the run $20 or so.
 
COOLER MASTER R4-S2S-124K-GP 120mm Case Fan 4 in 1 pack - Newegg.com

This is what I use. All 4 of them. I did not buy them for my aquarium, but had them on hand and wired all 4 with some wire extensions and wired them into a 12V DC power supply (One from a linksys router. The soldering job is not very fancy, but it's behind my canopy and no one see it and I did tape it up with electrical tape just in case,

Any 120, or even 80MM if they will fit in your canopy will work. I drilled the top of mind with 4" hole saw, 4 1/2 would of been better, but did have one and they are like $40, so I went 4". With the 4 fans they work pretty good. I even put finder guards on both side of the fan on top for looks and underneath so I did bump the fans.

Anyway hope this made since. Just woke up.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new