What protein skimmer should I buy?

Ubergroover

Engineer by day, Musician/golfer/reefer by night
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
My tank has been running for two weeks now. No fish except for the piece of shrimp I threw in to start the cycle lol. Its a 75 gallon tank , 20 gallon sump. Diatoms are in bloom and generally the ammonia spike has just passed, nitrites dropping nitrates spiking. I plan on doing a water change soon, buying a protein skimmer and then start buying the CUC in about two weeks. What protein skimmer brands are good and what are junk? What do you guys recommend?

Jerry

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
My tank has been running for two weeks now. No fish except for the piece of shrimp I threw in to start the cycle lol. Its a 75 gallon tank , 20 gallon sump. Diatoms are in bloom and generally the ammonia spike has just passed, nitrites dropping nitrates spiking. I plan on doing a water change soon, buying a protein skimmer and then start buying the CUC in about two weeks. What protein skimmer brands are good and what are junk? What do you guys recommend?

Jerry

Bubbles are bubbles, so they will all get the job done. The difference in price will be expressed in the construction materials, build quality, features, and most importantly pump quality. I would look for DC pump versions and only spend what you are comfortable with. You need to consider space when choosing and how it will fit in your sump. Some versions are purpose built "space savers" that can fit in smaller spaces.

I had a SRO-1000 on a 75 and it worked well.

When shopping clean up crew, take my advice, you don't need 1,000 little critter packs. Just a few snails and whatever you like.

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello all,

Jerry

I would stay with an ac pump, simple & reliable. With no controller to flake out. Value skimmer look at the ASM, been around for years, work well, easy to get pump parts. Lifereef makes a good unit or Deltec for premium unit.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stay with an ac pump, simple & reliable. Deltec for premium unit.
+1 on ac and Deltec premo.

Get that Deltec MC500 from Battlecorals and call it a day. :)

Ran one for years on another reef and sold it with that reef.

I always wish I kept the MC500. :(

palmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had Deltec they are amazing at a premium price though- my current tank have a Reef Octopus and its great bang for the money. I did have to get the pump replaced within the first year but might have just been my bad luck, otherwise I would recommend Reef Octopus

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4th on the deltec, I have been impressed with it.

blue meanies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Jerry
I have a hang-on-back ReefOctupus skimmer that works incredibly well on my 65 gal. tank, and was really reasonably priced. I got it about 3 years ago. I recall paying about $165 for it new online. If I recall, it was rated for a 75 gal. tank.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back