What Radion xr15 g5 lighting schedule to run

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the time is due to come. Turing on the lights, looking to put in some corals in the next few days however I'm in urgent need to know what works best for a lighting schedule.

I have the Radion xr15 g5 pro light.

1. What setting is best to begin with?
2. What point intensity should I have this set to.
3. Higher the intensity is it more likely to have a algae issue.
4. Is there a need to run lights for 10-12 hrs or can you do a 1hr ramp up and 1hr ramp down with 6-8hrs of %of intensity?

Sorry first time reefer and ready to start the next stage in my progress to further my knowledge.

Will be have soft corals, Mushrooms, zoas and LPS mainly for now. Easy to care for, for now

Hope someone can assist me into a successful reef.
20210113_132604.jpg

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice for running the lights? Haven't been able to find anything, currently have trochus snails in the tank.. coral and fish next week. To turn lights on now or wait till next week? Do I run blues at 50% and white at 10%?? UV.. VIOLETS?? REDS GREENS ECT.. what to start with AB+ setting or LPS setting? To many options

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an XR15 on my new tank, it doesn't have coral in it yet, but I plan to run it on Corallab AB, since this is the proven lighting scheme that companies like WWC use. But if your setting it up for LPS, you might try that LPS one. They all look pretty similar colorwise IMO.

It will continue to run for 3 months or so before I put frags in it (about a month in), but I have been running the lights with blues and whites just to bring out the colors on the fish until then. Using 20% intensity at 8hrs a day.

The less light intensity and schedule the better on avoiding algae. I haven't had algae issues because of the livestock in the tank and a giant UV I am running at algae levels though. I would likely run the light schedule less if I didn't have UV.

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an XR15 on my new tank, it doesn't have coral in it yet, but I plan to run it on Corallab AB, since this is the proven lighting scheme that companies like WWC use. But if your setting it up for LPS, you might try that LPS one. They all look pretty similar colorwise IMO.

It will continue to run for 3 months or so before I put frags in it (about a month in), but I have been running the lights with blues and whites just to bring out the colors on the fish until then. Using 20% intensity at 8hrs a day.

The less light intensity and schedule the better on avoiding algae. I haven't had algae issues because of the livestock in the tank and a giant UV I am running at algae levels though. I would likely run the light schedule less if I didn't have UV.
What is your Lighting schedule you post a photo? If you dont mind

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How have you gone with your tank and light.

WyoMt.Chef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am new to reefing and am using an xr15. BRS tv has some good xr 15 specific videos. https://youtube.com/user/BulkReefSupplyCom I'm currently running coral lab ab+ with a bit more white for viewing. Ive only had coral in the tank for 6 weeks. Currently 3 zoa frags, a discosoma and ricordea yuma mush, a green pavona, a small candy cane and a toadstool leather. All have been happy as soon as I've found proper placement.

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am new to reefing and am using an xr15. BRS tv has some good xr 15 specific videos. https://youtube.com/user/BulkReefSupplyCom I'm currently running coral lab ab+ with a bit more white for viewing. Ive only had coral in the tank for 6 weeks. Currently 3 zoa frags, a discosoma and ricordea yuma mush, a green pavona, a small candy cane and a toadstool leather. All have been happy as soon as I've found proper placement.
What is your schedule like?

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How have you gone with your tank and light.
I still have the ecotech on my cube, running it at 90% and its sufficient for euphyllia and torches that are about 8" below the waterline, but overall I am not very happy with the light. Dont particularly like the color it puts out and wish it had more power (realize I was asking a lot from a single XR15 though)

My new tank that I am transitioning to has T5s and Reefbrites, and easilly outpowers this one. I like the actinic color of the reefbrites and the coral pop much more than what the ecotech can offer too...

WyoMt.Chef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your schedule like?
Here's a screenshot of my current schedule and spectrum. It's on rather late in the evening when I'm off work just so I get a chance to view it haha.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210403-193642_Mobius.jpg
    Screenshot_20210403-193642_Mobius.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,200
  • Screenshot_20210403-193956_Mobius.jpg
    Screenshot_20210403-193956_Mobius.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,213
OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a screenshot of my current schedule and spectrum. It's on rather late in the evening when I'm off work just so I get a chance to view it haha.
What intensity do you run? This is mine everything appears to be happy other than my ultra goni but other gonis are good.
Screenshot_20210404-102936_Mobius.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210404-103040_Mobius.jpg
    Screenshot_20210404-103040_Mobius.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 777

WyoMt.Chef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What intensity do you run? This is mine everything appears to be happy other than my ultra goni but other gonis are good.
Screenshot_20210404-102936_Mobius.jpg
My intensity ramps up to 35% in 30 minutes, then an hour later drops to 25, an hour before it turns off it's at 20. This is a good read from wwc on what they do. Hope it helps!

Attachments

• World_Wide_Corals_CoralLab (1).pdf
    10.9 MB · Views: 1,007

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back