What Rule to use when stocking?

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think each tank is different. So much depends of your total filtration system. Clearly if you were to get to the point of seeing ammonia, you have passed that point.
I think the fact your asking and really thinking about this says a lot about you. I wish more people did so. I think you have to be realistic and use your best judgment based on the fish your thinking of keeping and your complete system. Only you know your system.

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think each tank is different. So much depends of your total filtration system. Clearly if you were to get to the point of seeing ammonia, you have passed that point.
I think the fact your asking and really thinking about this says a lot about you. I wish more people did so. I think you have to be realistic and use your best judgment based on the fish your thinking of keeping and your complete system. Only you know your system.
yeah, I have a very robust biological filtration and I have been happy with the results (haven't seen ammonia in the tank since day two of setup XD ). I really care about my fish, I don't want a tank just to look at, I want to keep them happy. I feel like I've done a lot to screw that up along the way, it's a learning process, but overall I have learned a lot and feel like I'm starting to get the hang of it, I just want to make sure I don't start messing it up even more XD

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Inch per gallon rules are old and outdated imo...

Ok go on your computer and print out actual size adult pictures of each fish you own and each fish you want. Tape them to your tank. How does it look? Too crowded? No? That's what I would do.

Also of course add fish one and a time and watch nutrients to make sure your filtration can handle it.
I actually really like that idea! And it makes sense

Back