What salt do you use and why?

  • Thread starter Thread starter nuvocube
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

nuvocube

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 2, 2026
Messages
173
Reaction score
40
Location
Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 91.7%
11   1   0
I’m sure this has been debated before but let’s hear it.

Pfa
20260812_231408_B2EE2472-AE67-457F-A744-A2552251B4E4.png
 
I have an awesome lfs, I try to support them in any way I can. They only carry Fritz RMS so I only buy it from them. I want them to make money and stick around.
 
I use Red Sea Coral Pro because the elevated parameters give my fast-growing corals the exact boost they need without constant dosing.
 
Modern reef currently

Clean salt, mixes easy, icp tested
 
I use Aquaforest Hybrid Pro salt-only drawback i have found is Alk usually mixes around 7.5-7.8 so i always have to add a little to bring that up
 
I just switched to Aquaforest reef salt. Haven’t used it yet though. Use to use TMP and loved it just really expensive. Then tried a bucket of Red Sea blue and alk was 5.5 so never buying again
 
Instant Ocean
It is cheap and has a decades long track record, used by zoos, aquaculture and labs worldwide. It works for me.

Same.
 
+1 Instant ocean. It's always worked and the price is right. The only complaint I can think of is that if I don't rinse out my mixing reservoir out once in awhile, a brown buildup will eventually form. However this is a non issue and the only nit-picky thing I can come up with.

Similar to what allof fish stated, I tried Red Sea pro once because a lfs was basically giving them away. When mix I found the parameters of the were way off. It may of been a one-off, but was enough to put me off.
 
IO purple bucket.

I ised reef crystals when i had more sps and coral, and switched to the IO Pruple when i upgraded and needed two buckets to start my new tank. I buy it when it goes on sale, and its cheap.

Been using IO for 15 years, never had a problem and its available near me or with free shipping. Never found a reason to try another.
 
I use reef crystals because it has a track record of working, I also used it a decade ago when I was in the hobby and had good results. I don’t mind the residue. I just throw some vinegar with RO water in the mixing container and it is clean.
 
I’m getting a package delivered today and it’s the Aquaforest Reef Salt. I have been using the salt water my LFS makes but I’ve been wanting to make my own sea water. Hopefully it’s a good salt, just kinda went off of reviews and nutrient levels it makes.
 
I used Tropic Marin Pro Reef and recently switched to Nyos Pure, mainly because it seems to be the “it” salt. I honestly see no difference between it and the Pro Reef, other than the alk is a little higher, 8.2ish vs 7.6ish.

I only go through a big bucket about once a year, so getting the cheapest really doesn’t make too much difference to me.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new