What should I add in my cleanup crew?

SuperNarwhal46

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10g tank and I was wondering what kind of cleanup crew I should get. I am currently in the process of cycling my tank, and I have nothing in it at the moment except for live rock. I am planning on getting a clownfish as well as a firefish goby. I am torn in what to get for my cleanup crew, and I have heard some good things about Nassarius snails and cleaner shrimp. I was wondering what other things to get and how many to get of each. I am relatively new to this hobby, so give as much explanation as you can so I can learn more!

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a mixture of snails after your cycle ends and you start seeing algae show up. A mixture of snails are fun to watch... plus you'll see which ones live best in your tank. Nassarious eat only left over food, so good to have after you start getting fish. Shrimp are good, but best to wait until the tank is a little more mature... cleaner shrimp are very sensitive to water parameter changes.

EagleEye121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d stick to mostly snails. Nassarius & ceriths will turnover your sandbed nicely, astreas are good algae eaters, and you can never go wrong with a turbo snail.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I certainly wouldn't get anything while your tank is cycling. When your cycle is compelte, I'd get some banded trochus snails. They're great, and won't die if they fall off your aquascape or the glass, as they can right themselves.

OP
OP
SuperNarwhal46

SuperNarwhal46

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I will definitely wait for my cycle to end. Thanks for the great info on which snails to get though!
I was also wondering if I got mostly snails, would I be able to get a few small hermit crabs as well? I was thinking about some small blue-legged hermits. Would those eat the snails or are they too small to do so?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get hermits make sure to get some empty shells to otherwise they will eat snails for there shell.
They might eat them anyway. Snails are interested in algae; hermit crabs are interested in algae...and everything else your tank might have on offer. That being said, Halloween hermits only rehome in cone shells, so they do probably offer a lower chance of evicting (and eating) one of your snails. My Halloween sure does like to knock over anything not glued down to the live rock in my Evo, though.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 86 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back