What should I do to keep my anemone healthy keeps taking a long time to inflate when tank lights are on just got it recently 4days ago

OP
OP
A

ajdinp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck feel free to reach out to me with whatever questions you have
Turned on blue light right now going to let them wake up and leave it on for another 9-12 hours

Attachments

• IMG_4616.jpeg
    IMG_4616.jpeg
    45.1 KB · Views: 28

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent 60$ on the condy and 50$ on the Kenya tree haven’t bought any else yet
I've been in this hobby way too long. I remember when condys were under $10. I actually didn't know you could even still get them. I haven't seen one in many years.

OP
OP
A

ajdinp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in this hobby way too long. I remember when condys were under $10. I actually didn't know you could even still get them. I haven't seen one in many years.
It’s a shame that I didn’t do more research before hand now I’m running around trying to help it survive in this new tank

OP
OP
A

ajdinp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(update) the Nems mouth is slightly open which isn’t a really good sign but it seems to be inflating today

Attachments

• IMG_4620.jpeg
    IMG_4620.jpeg
    40.9 KB · Views: 27

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look through peoples build threads that have a 13.5 gallon tank I’m not sure what lights work best on them unfortunately I do see people using ai primes but there costly maybe @SauceyReef can give you some ideas they have a nice mixed reef 13.5 build going

Thank you! I haven’t gotten to read through everything here, but I personally would reccomend either the AI Prime 16HD or the Kessil A80. If you want more customization go with the AI. If you want more of a simple light setup preset fits all go with the Kessil. If you want something super cheap that will still work Fluval has a nice decent little clip on nano light.

OP
OP
A

ajdinp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(update) the Nems mouth is slightly open which isn’t a really good sign but it seems to be inflating today
I’m happy to help with any other questions. Where are you getting your corals? $60 for a Kenya tree! If you were close to me I would give you one for free
Yup I bought it 50$ plus tax together with the nem not knowing the nem would be such a hassle spent 110$ all together getting it shipped I was looking online too and other sites were selling for like 30$ now the anemone is struggling to survive because I didn’t really cycle my tank for that long

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s normal. Yes, the tank isn’t that old or cycled, nems just like stability. They also seem to be pretty resilient even though they are temperamental. How many pounds of live rock do you have?

I think as long as you give it some semblance of stability and plenty of light, it will make it. It will most definitely be angry for the first few weeks though :face-with-tears-of-joy:

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I bought it 50$ plus tax together with the nem not knowing the nem would be such a hassle spent 110$ all together getting it shipped I was looking online too and other sites were selling for like 30$ now the anemone is struggling to survive because I didn’t really cycle my tank for that long
Hey it happens. This hobby is super unforgiving the first couple years we start. We typically all had to go through a big learning experience with some (or in my case many) coral skeletons tucked away in the closet. Luckily it is just an anemone! I agree with @C4ctus99 it still has a good chance of surviving. May I ask a few questions?? Sorry if I missed any of this earlier!

- What city are you from? You may have a very flourishing hobbyist community close to you. You can do trades and get super cheap or free corals from them.

- How old is your tank? Any other livestock?

- What are you running for filtration? Do you test params? If so which ones and what results do you have?

OP
OP
A

ajdinp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey it happens. This hobby is super unforgiving the first couple years we start. We typically all had to go through a big learning experience with some (or in my case many) coral skeletons tucked away in the closet. Luckily it is just an anemone! I agree with @C4ctus99 it still has a good chance of surviving. May I ask a few questions?? Sorry if I missed any of this earlier!

- What city are you from? You may have a very flourishing hobbyist community close to you. You can do trades and get super cheap or free corals from them.

- What are you running for filtration? Do you test params? If so which ones and what results do you have?

- What are you running for filtration? Do you test params?
I just figured out 2 days ago I have a reef shop a mile away called Kona reef in surprise AZ so I don’t really have to order anything anymore and they have a variety of corals I got phytoplankton for the Kenya tree and a heater for my tank

My tank is only a week old so it’s still really early
And I run a 3 stage filtration system and I have no clue how to test water perimeters

OP
OP
A

ajdinp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just figured out 2 days ago I have a reef shop a mile away called Kona reef in surprise AZ so I don’t really have to order anything anymore and they have a variety of corals I got phytoplankton for the Kenya tree and a heater for my tank

And I run a 3 stage filtration system and I have no clue how to test water perimeters

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...V8wXnCh2gjAhNEAQYAiABEgK89_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the live rock on a shelf or was it mailed to you in a box?
Real live rock really comes to you wet, dripping, in a bag, in water.

I agree, 1) tank is way too new. 2)under lit. Add more of the same light of you can.
3) get the plastic out.

That condy is bleached already.

This is one expensive hobby. If your struggling over the price of lights, just wait, it gets worse.
Go with the flow or cut your losses.
Sounds mean, don't want it to be. But after 30 years in the hobby, it's not getting any cheaper.

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely start with the Kessil A80 instead of the AI Prime. You could also do okay with a Hygger or Fluval clip on, or the Nano lights Nilipal or Nicrew makes (all available and affordable on Amazon). You could honestly be fine with the Evo stock light especially if you are on a low budget. I would recommend paying the extra $ and going with the Kessil though.

Dont worry about dosing phyto anymore. Not until you start testing nutrients. Just stick with a basic regiment of a squirt of PE Mysis. If you have no fish you only have to feed a tiny bit each day (quarter pipette squirt). If fish do a full pipette squirt. Check the PM I sent about the testing devices to start with. Focus on Salinity and Temp for now, move on to nutrients.

@Dburr1014 question is very important. IF the rock was liverock this will go a lot better! If it was dead rock it probably wont go so well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

ajdinp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree, 1) tank is way too new. 2)under lit. Add more of the same light of you can.
3) get the plastic out.

This is one expensive hobby. If your struggling over the price of lights, just wait, it gets worse.
Sounds mean, don't want it to be. But after 30 years in the hobby, it's not getting any cheaper.

3) get the plastic out.

it was mailed in a box, also should I prepare to get rid of the condy? and yup I learned the hard way that this is going to be an expensive/challenging hobby ,but that’s life for ya and it doesn’t hurt sometimes to find a flexible price on some things I just don’t want to be dropping 1,000s of dollars on things that I don’t know what I’m doing on so I gotta do my research and I should done more before buying the tank

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it came in a box, I assume it was dry.

Live rock... The name in itself means it's live, not that the actual rock is living or was once alive, but there is bacteria colonized on the rock surfaces. If it gets completly dry, the bacteria dies. The rock is no longer considered live rock. It is now just dead, dry rock.

These bacteria help the tank immensely and all that lives in the tank.
Unfortunately you're starting from scratch and all the bacteria have to build up and there's many types of the bacteria and they're all fighting for that rock to colonize it. This is why we say your tank is new because you have no bacteria in the dry Rock. When your tank cycled the rock started to become live and the battle has begun. It will just take some time.

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 136 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%
Back