What should I expect going to a frag swap?

Jack_10218

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to make the trip out to the LIRA frag swap in 2 around 2 months, but I have no clue what to expect. I’ve been to Reefapalooza twice, but no other shows. Is it like a normal show where I bring cash and there are vendors? Or is it a bunch of hobbists brining their corals? Do I have to bring something of my own? Also, are there any other good shows in the NY area? Thanks.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to make the trip out to the LIRA frag swap in 2 around 2 months, but I have no clue what to expect. I’ve been to Reefapalooza twice, but no other shows. Is it like a normal show where I bring cash and there are vendors? Or is it a bunch of hobbists brining their corals? Do I have to bring something of my own? Also, are there any other good shows in the NY area? Thanks.
I like this question because it is exactly what I want to know as well. Hope you get an answer :)

Upvote 0

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, a "frag swap" is actually a coral trade show. There is little to no actual trading, and mostly cash sales. The vendors pay table fees and the event usually charges a small admission fee. You can usually find good deals, but buyer beware. Thoroughly dip all acquired coral and qt if you can.

Upvote 0

Shufflepig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The majority of local fragswaps are organized by local clubs. The club rents a venue and coral vendors pay for space at the swap. Many swaps also have an area for hobbyists to set up a small tank. Attendees do not bring coral to trade. Many of the vendors will accept credit cards but cash is usually preferred. These fragswaps are an excellent place to pick up some really nice corals for excellent prices. Most attendees bring a small cooler to transport the frags they purchase home.
The number of vendors at a swap varies greatly. You can usually expect 15-30 vendors selling coral. It’s a great way to spend an afternoon. You’ll have thousands of coral frags to choose from.

Upvote 0

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a difference between a “show” and a swap. If the event is posting vendors that will be selling at the event, it’s not something to bring your own stuff to. Vendors will have paid for their spot and showing up with your own stuff to sell isn’t cool, you’re attempting to take money from people who paid to be there to sell. In this case most “big” vendors will have card readers but just plan on cash.

at a swap, usually a local club organizes a get together or meeting for the club and invites people to bring coral to swap/sell. You’ll not see anyone posting vendors for this type of event usually, meaning it’s an open invitation for anyone to do it.

reefapaloza is a huge deal but not your typical show atmosphere. Usually shows will have local vendors from in-state or nearby states with a few hot items but with lots of good deals. I see lots of 5/$100 and that kinda thing at shows. Buy X and get something free. Reefapaloza is top tier, every vendor wants to sell you that $5,000 scoly, and in NYC/cali/Chicago/Dallas there are people who can afford it.

Upvote 0

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll also add good shows are worth driving to. A couple hour drive to get great deals on coral and not pay shipping is worth it to me. I’m in Maryland and usually do Philly and Richmond when those shows come around, along with the DC and Maryland ones. They only happen every few months so it’s not too much of an inconvenience.

Upvote 0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 101 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.8%
Back