What should water evaporation be on 220 gal tank?

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my 220 gal display tank with 75 gal sump has been up and cycling for about 8 days now. What is the amount of expected evaporation on average for this size tank. I haven't officially kept track, but I can swear that I go through about 4 callons every 2-3 days.
Is this normal? Water is cycling at 82 degrees.
Thanks!

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many factors beyond the tank size to account for evaporation. The environment sourounding your tank is going to have a lot more to deal with how much evaporation you have than what you have provided.

What kind of lid does it have? Does it have direct sun exposure? What kind lighting is in use? So much more.

55NEVER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My display tank is 270 gallons and I only evaporate 2.5 gallons a day on average. Alot of factors can influence the rate of evaporation, like is the tank open to the air such as a rimless or does it have a canopy. The climate that you live in, are you Texas vs. Colorado and so on and so forth. Also, where the tank is located in the house can affect evaporation rate. A basement tank vs. Tank sitting by a window.

OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My display tank is 270 gallons and I only evaporate 2.5 gallons a day on average. Alot of factors can influence the rate of evaporation, like is the tank open to the air such as a rimless or does it have a canopy. The climate that you live in, are you Texas vs. Colorado and so on and so forth. Also, where the tank is located in the house can affect evaporation rate. A basement tank vs. Tank sitting by a window.
So many factors beyond the tank size to account for evaporation. The environment sourounding your tank is going to have a lot more to deal with how much evaporation you have than what you have provided.

What kind of lid does it have? Does it have direct sun exposure? What kind lighting is in use? So much more.
No sunlight, just screen top, house at 76-78 degrees. No lights during cycle right now. I'm in central CA.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
150g no lid and cover over lights so it stays hot in their. House is always 70. I go through 5g every 9 days. Check your salinity to make sure you don't have a leak.

OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
150g no lid and cover over lights so it stays hot in their. House is always 70. I go through 5g every 9 days. Check your salinity to make sure you don't have a leak.
A leak you mean in the tank? If so wouldn't I have water everywhere? Also, what do you mean by check salinity how does that affect loss? Thanks

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Doesn't have to be in the tank. Just check for water. Considering your house is so hot and your tank is hot, this is probably not the case. I wrote that before I saw your house is 78. I don't see how you sleep. Lol

OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
room temp and tank temp will affect evaporation as well.
curious, if your house is at 78, have you always run your tanks at 82? 78 is plenty warm for a reef.
Lol I'm upstairs to sleep where I open my windows like tonight will get down to 50 lol At night the downstairs usually drops to maybe 73 down stairs house is really well insulated.
Ya no water anywhere. So I guess normal lol??

OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
room temp and tank temp will affect evaporation as well.
curious, if your house is at 78, have you always run your tanks at 82? 78 is plenty warm for a reef.
No just running 82 as Dr. Tim recommend up to 89 degrees to help bacteria replicate faster during cycling. I will lower the tank to 77-78 when I get ready to add fish.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living in California we tend to have a high rate of evap. Consider that a mixed blessing. On the downside you are always making RODI it seems. On the plus side it is great for Kalkwasser dosing. My tanks are between 30g and 40g and I can evap 3/4 to a gallon a day. In the summer, when I hit it with a fan all bets are off.

OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living in California we tend to have a high rate of evap. Consider that a mixed blessing. On the downside you are always making RODI it seems. On the plus side it is great for Kalkwasser dosing. My tanks are between 30g and 40g and I can evap 3/4 to a gallon a day. In the summer, when I hit it with a fan all bets are off.
Ok sounds like it's normal then. Wow this is nuts lol.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sounds like it's normal then. Wow this is nuts lol.
So now is the time to start thinking about a automatic RODI for your top off system if that will be possible for you. Weekends for me I fill all my ATO containers and have a 6g ready so I can make it through the week.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is Tuesday, I filled up on Saturday. I have already gone through 12g of RO on a combined 120g of my tanks! My 10g frag tank has gone thru 3 gallons. It is SO DRY here!

Central Valley here. The 90 system is on direct-plumb from the RO, otherwise I'd drop 2-3g a day (I still do, but don't even notice anymore). The new small 20g nano is dropping about 1/3 gal a day, which is pretty significant for such a small system. Good thing I have an almost 12g sump on it

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 210 in my basement always kept at 70f with 44 brute as ato storage goes through all of it anywhere from 10 days in winter to 20 days in the summer. I live in Wisconsin so humid in summer and dry in winter.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back