What Size AquaFX Barracuda is this?

OrthoVet05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I am definitely taking my time and doing my research (peace mealing) before I purchase a tank. I found a used AquaFx Barracuda RO/DI system today on LetGo for $50! Everything was going smooth with the deal, until the previous owner texted me saying the cap was cracked all the way around along the DI! Oh No. Fortunately, she gave it to me for cheaper and was at least honest about it.

I was able to get the cap off and most likely will replace it. Does anyone know where to get replacement parts for these, other than the filter media? Also, I supposed I could call the company tomorrow, but does anyone know what size this one might be? TIA!

image1 (1).JPG

Last edited:

Celbrise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am not totally sure but i have the 100gpd one currently and i've had the 50gpd one as well. both kind of look alike in size and weight. just looking at the picture i would assume it is a 100gpd. not really sure how the hell you could tell the difference besides actually making some water. i don't really see anything on mine that tells you what gpd it is either it just has some numbers and letters on the yellow tube. have you tried asking the owner which one it was?

the blue tubing also has the same numbers and letters on the yellow one it's right near the plug ins on the top cannister. the only major difference i can see to tell is the measurements. looked at both 50 and 100gpd and the only difference was half an inch i believe on the Length? A x B x C, B and C is the same for both models but A is like half an inch shorter on the 100gpd at i think it was 17.5 inches and 50gpd is 18inches.

replacement part wise you'd probably have to buy it from the manufacturer if they even provide them or buy a new system. i just checked on there site i didn't see the part you need but i would double check and call and ask i mean they got to have a replacement part for the top cannister imo and know how to actually differentiate between the 50 and 100gpd.

OP
OP
OrthoVet05

OrthoVet05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks celbrise. I think that is pretty funny that you can't tell which one it is other than 1/2 in. in length. Anyways, I sent the manufacturer an email and hopefully I can get that part, otherwise I may check out the local lfs, Lowes or Home Depot. How do you hook it up to your sink? I imagine there is an adapter but I just would rather hear it from someone who uses it. I was thinking of getting a 50 gallon trash can to hold my water in as well.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the membrane cap is broken you will likely have to replace the membrane. Once it is wet if it dries out again, it's no good. You can buy a 100gpd membrane if you want in that case but you'll need to make sure you also have the correct flow restrictor.

Celbrise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it should have came with the ro/di system guess the seller didn't include that as well? anyways there are 2 ways that i know of to connect it.

1. a Hose bib adapter. it just hooks up to the black line on one end and the other end you screw into your garden hose type of end or garage/basement sink.
2. if your going to use like your kitchen sink or bathroom sink there is a different type of adapter for that. i am not totally sure how this one works im guessing you remove your aerator screw the adapter in and then plug the other end to your ro/di unit via the black hose.

i think there is a 3rd way that involve a ball bearing and drilling into your pipes for a permanent install.

you can buy all the supplies on the aquafx website they sell the adapters and the ones for the 3rd way as well but idk what that method needs theres like other parts as well i believe you need.

to setup the system you just plug the adapter into your water source, run the yellow wire which is your waste line to a drain or something to drain it in as you won't be using this water unless you want to for other purposes, blue water is your RO/DI water line so this you plug into your trash can or whatever your using to collect ro/di water. make sure the wires are in the right place though as you can interchange them such as using the black line for your waste water, blue line for your water source and so forth. i set mine up normally so blue line reads OUT black reads IN and yellow was already connected to the top cannister. just turn the water on after that and it will start to run. if you buy a TDS meter it's basically the same thing you just cut the lines with a knife and connect them to the respect TDS ports and piece together and run it normally.

BTW i found the top membrane part that is broken on your unit. they DO sell it on the aquafx website for $14.99+shipping. looks exactly the same as the one i have and it didn't seem to come in any other sizes so i assume you can use it as well on either 50gpd or 100gpd models. the membrane inside i believe might be different but IDK. i would call and ask them about that.

Celbrise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

the 1st method they use the hose bib adapter.

http://www.aquariumwaterfilters.com/Residential-Membrane-Housing-p.mhw10-2.htm

that is the replacement part for your top cannister. if you go to the top tab "parts and accessories" then go to PARTS at the bottom and on the 2nd page it shows you the hose bib adapter and the other adapter next to it.

ontop of that i think i found out a way to tell which system you have. i noticed in the website the membranes have a sticker which i distinctly remember on mines when i unboxed last week. anyways theres the membrane tells you 100GPD or 50GPD or whatever. so i would think if you just removed the membrane and HOPEFULLY the owner didn't remove that sticker but it should say which membrane you need to buy. idk if the top cannister the black or white coloring options differ in size but i doubt they do if anything i would just get the white one anyways to be safe. i think only the membranes inside of them truly matter,

i do have a tds meter on mine and check it when i make water and with the sticker on my membrane it still produces 0 tds water.

AquaFX

AquaFX
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really sorry for the late reply, we are just getting back after Hurricane Irma. There are 2 ways to tell, the first is the model number on the membrane. It should be fairly clear as to a 100 or a 50 GPD rating. If that will not work, you can remove the yellow tube at the membrane housing and check the flow restrictor. We just updated ours, soooo the old style 100 GPD was black with a white tail; the 50 GPD was Black with a green tail. The new ones are as follows; 100 GPD green with black tail and a white tip and the 50 GPD are green with black tail and a black tip.
If you need anymore help please just call in 407-599-2123

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 51 25.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.2%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 49 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back