Can we talk ro/di production ?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think thats because its filtered by carbon blocks + sediment filter.
Waste water still goes though the first 2-3 stages in a RO setup.

I still think if you want to save water, running a dual RO membrane in Serial config will probably save the most, but at the cost of the second membrane wearing out quickly, and you'll probably want to flush the membranes each time you finished collecting your massive amount of water.

I would of said before that doing this is probably more expensive then the waste water, however, if you look at some locations like California for example, water is ***** expensive, and Amazon has pretty cheap RO Membranes, so you may actually save some money in the long run sacrificing the longevity of one of your RO membranes.

LOL, i collected my waste water on my intial build to use to leak test my tank.
Worked out pretty well.

Then i used the water to dump it on my lawn after leak testing was done.

But rolling out a 44G Brute tub 100ft or so, even on furnature movers is a work out.
I actually run 3 membranes in series but my tap water tds is not bad. Plus I have a controller on my system that opens a solenoid to bypasses the restriction for a minute every 30 minutes of run time.
I run 3 membranes to speed up production rate instead of trying to conserve water.

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a cation first and mixed bed after the anions?

Silica specific resins are just marketing gimmicks. It’s anion resin with mixed bed on top

BTW some silica won’t hurt a tank. It’s actually good for a lot of critters
Yes! I do the step 1 2 3 that BRS has. It’s pretty low silicates, still has some but it’s low low.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just buy a big water container and pump the waste into that. Use it to water a garden or your lawn if you have one. That’s the best idea I’ve seen if you ask me haha.

Though I did wonder if the water would be contaminated in some way and cause issues. I doubt the grass would care, but some plants might.
I bought an extra 50 feet of RO tubing years ago. "Waste" water goes to the trees and bushes. Just rolls up beside the garden hose under a bush when done.

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an extra 50 feet of RO tubing years ago. "Waste" water goes to the trees and bushes. Just rolls up beside the garden hose under a bush when done.
I’ve been wanting to do something with mine. This might just be it. I like this much better than dumping it down the drain.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back