What size/brand of sand do you use in your SPS Tank

jeremy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering what sand people use in their SPS tank. I had sand a year or so ago and started having nutrient problems. I siphoned all the sand out over a couple months and have been bare bottom ever since. Well I miss the sand bed so I am gonna add a couple bags just not sure what kind I want.

I had the Fiji Pink before. It was way to fine. Blew all over the place. My tank is a 120 SPS tank. I have 4 MP40S and 2 MP10S. The 10s provide flow under my rocks so detritus don't hang under there.

I am looking for a sand that is harder to blow around and thought about mixing some Crushed Coral in the higher flow areas. After a few months I will add a sand sifter CUC to help stir sand up along with regular siphoning of the sand bed. I will go with shallow sand bed. Probably 1-1.5inch bed.

OP
OP
jeremy

jeremy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to add I will remove both MP10S and I can control each mp40 with my apex to reduce flow on individual pumps to reduce moving sand around .

Downbeach

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that Caribsea's special grade would be a good choice for your application.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 194 71.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back