What size CO2 tank?

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size CO2 tank should I get? I figure at least a 10lb tank, and maybe a 20lb.

I have a 250g tank that will eventually be at least 70% sps. I just ordered a Geo CR624 calcium reactor. It has a 6 inch diameter chamber, total height of 29 inches.

I currently have a basement fish room so space isn’t an issue today, and my stand has about 32 inches of internal height. Tank is 72x28.

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plan space for two tanks and use the biggest you can. Then you can swap them out as they are depleted without worry

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 20g tank that last me about 6 month on my 500galon system. Also don't use second tank, when it's low, I take the tank to work a refill it on my lunch break, and install it later that day. All in all no dig deal on a slite alkalinity swing in 10 hours. Not hurting anything

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After experimenting and actively trying to monitor my CO2 tank usage over 1.5 yrs, I can say my 5lb tank will last forever in my 180 system. I have several large colonies but most as mini colonies through a recent tank upgrade. This is a bit surprisingly because I wouldn’t consider myself a low demand user given my tank size and inhabitants, but the CO2 simply won’t consume anywhere near the rates I’m seeing.
I have a small 5 LB that I been monitoring over a year. Weighting it new and again at the half and 1 yr mark. I’ve taken it in twice to refill thinking there has to be something wrong with my process or tank. Both times the vendor say the tank is mostly full and I returned home with it. At this rate I predict my 5lb tank will last 2 yrs easily and that’s accounting for my mini colonies turning to full ones.

It’s great that I don’t have to fill it more frequently, but something doesn’t compute. For reference I estimate I melt about 6-7 lbs of reborn a year given my reactor capacity filling and cleaning it annually. Alk running 8.5s, but I’m able to run a higher media co2 of pH 6.7 which helps with my overall tank pH.

very odd

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have roughly the same size tank packed with acro colonies. A 20lb tank lasts about 9 months. Go with a 20lb.

Your consumption is typical hence I raised the concern on my own tank. I'm still in tuning mode after my annual December media clean and reload which I went ahead and refilled my 5lb CO2 tank anyways to have an all refreshed system going into the new year. Tuning now to get lower the media pH closer the the Reborn recommendation of 6.5. Even this slightly elevated raise shouldn't materially impact the consumption.

For my reference do you have a full tank shot of your tank? I'm looking for a reference point for the size of your acros that drives a 20lb tank in 9 months. =) Show it off please!!!

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 5 lb tank last me about 8 months.
This is a 75 gallon tank and about 100 gallon total system. I don't have a second tank but if I did I would just get another 5.

20221201_170147.jpg

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my tank for reference. Not a significant amount of stonies of course, but there's some good size pieces. Plus the 6-7 inch Maxima is said to consume a good amount of alk. Alk maintained at 8 and barely uses a 5lb CO2.

1672340279673.png

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back