What tank?

Hilltop Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to upgrade my 220. Who is everyone using to buy a big tank. I’m not sure what size yet but I’ve been looking at 8 footers. I definitely want at least 30” wide maybe 35”. I’ve been looking at planet aquariums online because the price seems reasonable. Any suggestions?
6D604598-2D55-4073-9952-EB3BF18BC197.jpeg
C7C887C8-A73F-4F83-B5BE-EC6D207AFDA4.jpeg 5CD76601-CFEA-41D2-A1D5-E53A58B8EDB0.jpeg

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging a long! I'm interested in doing the same I have an 8 year old 72x24x21 Deep Sea Aquatics (I think Planet acquired most of their employees when they closed) and have been very pleased with it. I see Planet Aquariums tanks in my LFS all the time as they are dealers. They appear to be well built.

OP
OP
Hilltop Aquariums

Hilltop Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any real LFS near me but there is one about an hour and a half away and he’s getting me some pricing and options on Monday.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Custom aquariums and glass cages have some premade already

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't typically flame a manufacturer - but this is a cautionary tale about Custom Aquariums that I feel obligated to communicate it was so bad to prevent fellow hobbyists from going through the same thing. Consider this a PSA, if you are checking on Custom Aquariums. Hired them after a ton of research to build a 400g tank/stand, and 4 other tanks. They were damaged in transit (their fault, they didn't crate the tanks correctly) and they refused to remake the 400g tank unless I accepted the also damaged stand, that we didn't even know was safe after coming loose in its crate and bouncing around for 2,000 miles and the leg levelers being stripped from the threads. They only seemed to care about the bottom line and not having to pay return shipping to fix the damage - it was pretty stunning. One of the original reasons I chose them was because of their lifetime warranty. Considering how impossible it was to work with them on getting their damaged tanks replaced, I can only imagine how a warranty claim would go. And in the fine print in their lifetime warranty - you have to ship the tank back to them first and the condition it shows up as will determine the evaluation. So - add the crating, freight costs, and shipping risk to the ridiculousness of their warranty. Good luck there. And then there were the machining marks on the edge of the tank panels, on the main viewing panel, that they said were "normal." This on a $5k custom tank. Right. I'm sure they have a lot of satisfied customers out there - one of the reasons I chose them. But you don't really get to know a company and its people until things go wrong. They showed their true colors - wow, especially a disregard for the safety of their customers. They finally punted on the entire order because I guess it was cheaper for them to declare it a complete loss and take a write off, rather than fix their mistake. They admitted to changing their crating methodology based on this incident, but still wouldn't admit they didn't anything wrong - LOL. There are a lot of other manufacturers out there to choose from - you might consider a different one other than Custom Aquariums. I've heard good things about Planet. I re-placed my tank order with AGE - and they have been great so far - hopefully the tanks turn out ok. Crossing my fingers they arrive ok this time....
marks.jpg

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So far I love the purchase I made from Planet Aquariums. Haven’t had any issues what so ever. I did have some issues with the paint on the stand but that was minor and promptly sent me touch up paint. I’m sure @Hydrored could attest for them as well!

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Redfoxtang

I have owned a few tanks from Planet and have been very happy. I had an issue with a 180 gal tank and they solved it right away. It's all documented in my build thread. In a few years when it's time for a custom tank, I will look at them again and wouldn't think twice.

Last edited:

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hydrored - that's the sign of a good company. And they get your return business too. Amazing some companies don't realize this...

This. I fall in the camp of I expect things to go wrong, it's all on how the manufacturer resolves it. I will not give return business to any company that provides poor customer service. I will gladly pay more today for a relationship that lasts for years. I also don't set my expectations high for anything that's a budget item.

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. I fall in the camp of I expect things to go wrong, it's all on how the manufacturer resolves it. I will not give return business to any company that provides poor customer service. I will gladly pay more today for a relationship that lasts for years.
My philosophy exactly.

OP
OP
Hilltop Aquariums

Hilltop Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good to know. I’m still shopping around as I don’t want to rush into anything considering the cost of what I’m about to do.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 81 77.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back