What temperature concerns you?

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe temperature is much less important than internet forums would lead you to believe.

I have a small heater that kicks on around 72-73 degrees, im not sure if it ever needs to actually run. I dont have any real means of cooling the tank or of measuring/recording temperature. If my house is comfortable for me, it's also comfortable for my tank.

I do have a large enough generator to heat/cool the room in case of a power outage, which is the only time temp would deviate far enough to be concerning.

I'd never know my tank hit 81.2 degrees, but assuming all it's inhabitants looked good/not stressed, I wouldn't do anything about it.
Agree. This incessant desire to keep temperature change to a minimum is really strange to me. Reefs are places of change - and 8+ degree daily fluctuations are the norm on reef crests.

I have my heater set to come on at 78 and go off at 81. 81 is a pretty normal temp - you're not anywhere near danger zone. I don't worry about it unless I'm down to about 72 or up around 84.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
78 is perfect 80 start to worrie at 82 all of the montipora and birdsnest I have bleach in less then a day

House got hot last weekend and I didn't relize the tank was climbing it got to 82 that day and held for about 2 hours before I realized it was high on tip of this the heat made the banghi go nuts and kill everything else in the tank

I litterly watched the coral bleaching untill I figured out why was running tests etc and all was good except the temp

So at 82 I would worrie alot by 85 everything is dead

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 156 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.7%
Back