• Total voters

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R Community!

My FIRST POLL! Some quick background: I’m a numbers and data guy so I love it when people post polls and give feedback. I can’t tell you how many purchases in this hobby because of that. This morning while testing nitrates I was having trouble finding the right color to match my Salifert NO3 chart. Frustrated I went to the forums to see if could find a easier to read test kit option. Though there are tons of great threads out there I just couldn’t find a comprehensive guide and then it got my noodle thinking about this poll and hopefully to help to understand why we use what we use to test. If you’re like me I want the closest most accurate results., just sometimes the colors domatch upo_O;):cool:

1. Vote for the test kit or kits you’re using.

2. Why you chose that particular brand

3. Share your pros and cons and if you’ve switched brands recently, why.

As always I appreciate the feedback, I look forward to running the numbers maybe by the end I might just be making a test kit switch! Thank you.

Currently using:
Salifert and Hanna Instruments

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium: Red Sea
Alaklainity: Hanna, confirmation with red sea or salifert
Magnesium: Salifert
Nitrate: Salifert
Phosphate: Hanna

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna, Salifert - Mag,Alk,Cal
Salifert- Phosphates
Red sea- Nitrates and Nitrites

After using API and a cpl others o have come to find these most easy to use as well as being partially color blind the colors easiest to see- Still have to have the wife confirm though. Lol

U

User1

View Badges
Other:
Neptune Trident is source of record.

When I manually test:
Hanna: Alk
Hanna: Phosphate
Nyos: Nitrates

ICP: ATI (twice a year)

Basically I use the ICP test(s) twice a year to take a holistic look at my water. 5 minutes before the noon Trident test I'll grab a glass of water from the tank and also fill up ATI's sample tubes. This way I can now run the manual tests above and compare to ATI's ICP results and the Trident. So far it hasn't failed me and all numbers are within their respected ranges. I do not run any manual tests outside the ICP test window.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the Years I have used Hach (a notable missing brand from the list), Salifert, Seachem, LaMotte, and some others.

I would not focus on any single brand being best in all kits.

For alk, I prefer a DIY.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna for Salinity, Phosphate, Alkalinity
Salifert for Nitrate, Calcium, Magnesium

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
always been a Hach fan and use their kits for most everything. Their digital titrators are pretty nice as well as their digitial PH probe. I'm curious about some of Hannas stuff, they are new since I've been back to the sport.

adromero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PH, calcium and nitrate API
Phosphate and alkalinity Hannah
Magnesium Salifert

I bought a Hanna instrument for calcium and PH, but I can never get them to work consistently

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I invested in this years ago. Never had a bad test yet. Have lost a few fish though

1591391782835.gif

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the Years I have used Hach (a notable missing brand from the list), Salifert, Seachem, LaMotte, and some others.

I would not focus on any single brand being best in all kits.

For alk, I prefer a DIY.
Nothing that can’t be fixed.. Hach will be added! In all honesty I hadn’t heard of it. Now I have a interest piqued!
Thank you and thank you for the feedback!:)

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I invested in this years ago. Never had a bad test yet. Have lost a few fish though

1591391782835.gif
Where do I get one of these?!?!? It might solve some of my invasive fish issues. You find you have issues with hair ball algae in your return? Haha :)

RazorRamon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium: Slifert
Alk: Hanna
Mag: Salifert
Po4: Hanna
Nitrate: Nyos
Ph: Elos

Whasmack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly Salifert.
Salifert : Alk, calc, mag, potassium
Hannah : salinity, phosphate
Nyos : nitrate

I’ll be switching back to Salifert for nitrate (maybe Red Sea). The Nyos yellow is easy to read, but the colors don’t match up to the card.

Salifert has always been reliable and predictable. Even if they are off from a ICP test, it’s usually consistently off. And they are super easy to use & read. The potassium is the only one I will use now.
The fact they are cheap is a bonus.

Hannah for phosphate has been perfectly aligned with ICP testing. So far the salinity probe has been great. I refuse to go back to Hannah alkalinity because they screwed me a couple years ago with a “recalled” reagent. When I figured something was off, i looked up bad reagents and there were a TON of them!! I wish I would have been notified.

210 Reef Tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk. Hanna
Cal. Red Sea
Mag. Red Sea
Potassium Red Sea
PO4 Red Sea
PH. Red Sea
Phosphate Hanna, Red Sea
I send in water samples to ICP just to keep me on track.
Soon to be setting up the Trident test system. May need help with that

James Emory

Orphek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R Community!

My FIRST POLL! Some quick background: I’m a numbers and data guy so I love it when people post polls and give feedback. I can’t tell you how many purchases in this hobby because of that. This morning while testing nitrates I was having trouble finding the right color to match my Salifert NO3 chart. Frustrated I went to the forums to see if could find a easier to read test kit option. Though there are tons of great threads out there I just couldn’t find a comprehensive guide and then it got my noodle thinking about this poll and hopefully to help to understand why we use what we use to test. If you’re like me I want the closest most accurate results., just sometimes the colors domatch upo_O;):cool:

1. Vote for the test kit or kits you’re using.

2. Why you chose that particular brand

3. Share your pros and cons and if you’ve switched brands recently, why.

As always I appreciate the feedback, I look forward to running the numbers maybe by the end I might just be making a test kit switch! Thank you.

Currently using:
Salifert and Hanna Instruments

James Emory

Orphek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most test kits are titration kits like calcium, magnesium and dKH so the exact color is not an issue, when the color changes tells you when to read the scale in the syringe. I've tried expensive Red Sea Kits and in all honesty they are not much better than a cheaper Salifert or NYOS kit. At least not worth the money in my opinion.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I primarily use:
Hanna ULR Phosphate
NYOS Nitrate

Trident

Then... I occasionally run:
Salifert DKH/Ca/Mg
Hanna DKH

I also have Redsea Pro Ca/Mg No3/PO4, I
Salifert Si, K
TMarin DKH

I got a bunch lol

I like the Hanna PO4 for fast and reliable accurate IMO
Hanna DKH I am less certain as I have done back to back tests and gotten different answers with different vials and I and religious with cleaning the vial and orientation within the checker and sample volume etc.
Salifert fast and easy to do titration
NYOS nitrate since it seems to have good low level color change and goes higher than the RSpro NO3 without messing with the sample.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back