what the heck is going on with my coral? Multiple coral losses.

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it seems like it is my turn to be hit with bad luck. I can only pinpoint the issues starting around mid-December when I installed a Reefmat 500 for my Red Sea Reefer 200xl. Every since then my tank has been on a downward spiral and I cannot figure out why.

1677783727647.png

This was my tank at the beginning of December. This is the latest picture I have of before I installed the Reefmat.

The only thing I did differently around that time was removed the skimmer since I didnt want to also have that plus the Reefmat.

I also changed from weekly water changes to bi-weekly. I was also pretty early on into using Reef Crystals instead of the normal purple salt.

Moving into late January I started noticing most of my torches shrinking. I didnt think much of it since, Mag (1500), Alk (9.5-10.2), Cal (420ish), levels were pretty much the same. But the torches started getting worse as we moved into mid-Feburary. One of my torches ended up dying. So a few things I noticed was the tank seemed to have a lot of gunk in it. I removed some live work from the DT and the sump to try and clean up some of the gunk, which now I know is detritus.

I finally decided to start testing everything. PH was in normal range, and Salt was low (1.020 at one point), TDS was 6ppm, and my Nitrates were through the roof! Well over 100ppm. That must be the problem! I started doing 30% water changes and during that time I lost two more torches. But the Nitrates were getting lower. So I kept pushing. After 3 30% water changes over the course of a week I got the numbers, stable it seems, to around 5-10ppm. All my other parameters are within their normal ranges too. In that time I added Chaeto and a wavemaker in the sump to keep things moving as well as lowered my ai prime light to try and help get some more light. Nothing has seem to really work. I am not sure how long it takes for coral to catch back up. Gonis are hanging on by a thread and my Elegance does not seem like its going to make it. I have one more torch left which is my prized coral that I do not want to lose.

To even help I bought a xr-15 hoping that maybe my AI prime has a melted led or something is wrong with it. As most of my lower corals are not reacting to anything.

I have gotten the salt back up to 1.025-1.026 and I ordered new stuff for my rodi and I am 1ppm.

All fish and inverts are doing great!

Is this just the shock that I just have to let them try and recover from on their own? Is there anything I can really do? I don't want to over do it and do more damage.

Not the best picture but this show the sad state of my tank currently.

1677784702372.png

1677784754074.png

This torch died not an hour later.

I dont even remember the last time i have seen the Elegance come out. It was sunk in but its tentacles were still flowing. But now it just looks like green soup.

1677784768581.png

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you added chaeto and a reefmat nutrients might be very low. What are the nitrate and phosphate levels in the tank? Magnesium at 1500 is also too high

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the nitrate and phosphate level?

Maybe nothing to do with it, but by removing the skimmer, you removed the main oxygen source for the water. The surface agitation should be sufficient for gas exchange.

OP
OP
E

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the nitrate and phosphate level?

Maybe nothing to do with it, but by removing the skimmer, you removed the main oxygen source for the water. The surface agitation should be sufficient for gas exchange.
This was my initial thought. Because it was gross underneath. Very stale. I added a powerhead to it and that seemed to have really helped with that theory.

Nitrates are around 5-10 and Phosphate is 0.05.

OP
OP
E

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you added chaeto and a reefmat nutrients might be very low. What are the nitrate and phosphate levels in the tank? Magnesium at 1500 is also too high
I do tests daily and they have been pretty consistent. I use Hanna and Salifert. I always thought that Mag was high but it's always been pretty high. I can't really seem to get it down. That's one reason I switched away from Reef Crystals.

Nitrates are around 5-10ppm and Phosphate is 0.05

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it seems like it is my turn to be hit with bad luck. I can only pinpoint the issues starting around mid-December when I installed a Reefmat 500 for my Red Sea Reefer 200xl. Every since then my tank has been on a downward spiral and I cannot figure out why.

1677783727647.png

This was my tank at the beginning of December. This is the latest picture I have of before I installed the Reefmat.

The only thing I did differently around that time was removed the skimmer since I didnt want to also have that plus the Reefmat.

I also changed from weekly water changes to bi-weekly. I was also pretty early on into using Reef Crystals instead of the normal purple salt.

Moving into late January I started noticing most of my torches shrinking. I didnt think much of it since, Mag (1500), Alk (9.5-10.2), Cal (420ish), levels were pretty much the same. But the torches started getting worse as we moved into mid-Feburary. One of my torches ended up dying. So a few things I noticed was the tank seemed to have a lot of gunk in it. I removed some live work from the DT and the sump to try and clean up some of the gunk, which now I know is detritus.

I finally decided to start testing everything. PH was in normal range, and Salt was low (1.020 at one point), TDS was 6ppm, and my Nitrates were through the roof! Well over 100ppm. That must be the problem! I started doing 30% water changes and during that time I lost two more torches. But the Nitrates were getting lower. So I kept pushing. After 3 30% water changes over the course of a week I got the numbers, stable it seems, to around 5-10ppm. All my other parameters are within their normal ranges too. In that time I added Chaeto and a wavemaker in the sump to keep things moving as well as lowered my ai prime light to try and help get some more light. Nothing has seem to really work. I am not sure how long it takes for coral to catch back up. Gonis are hanging on by a thread and my Elegance does not seem like its going to make it. I have one more torch left which is my prized coral that I do not want to lose.

To even help I bought a xr-15 hoping that maybe my AI prime has a melted led or something is wrong with it. As most of my lower corals are not reacting to anything.

I have gotten the salt back up to 1.025-1.026 and I ordered new stuff for my rodi and I am 1ppm.

All fish and inverts are doing great!

Is this just the shock that I just have to let them try and recover from on their own? Is there anything I can really do? I don't want to over do it and do more damage.

Not the best picture but this show the sad state of my tank currently.

1677784702372.png

1677784754074.png

This torch died not an hour later.

I dont even remember the last time i have seen the Elegance come out. It was sunk in but its tentacles were still flowing. But now it just looks like green soup.

1677784768581.png
You have had quite the roller-coaster ride.
I would hook up that skimmer again... How is your ph since disconnecting it?

OP
OP
E

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have had quite the roller-coaster ride.
I would hook up that skimmer again... How is your ph since disconnecting it?
Around 8.05

And you are dead on with the roller-coaster ride. It sucks but I know it's not uncommon. I just wish I can find the answer so I can get it corrected.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First you turned skimmer off and with no refugium or ats you had no nutrient removal. Nitrates went hog wild. Corals dont like this. Then your salinity got to 1.020. Corals dont like this. Probably both contributed to the corallls croaking.

But now that you got the fuge and skimmer back on you shoukd be good going forward. But you said you finally got around to testing. Should be testing most things weekly and some things daily. I check ph temp and salinity daily. If all this is good the rest is fixable Nd not really just a coral killer overnight.

get-salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
i normally do small changes or increments at a time. too many or drastic changes in a short amount of time can shock live stocks. adding new things and shutting something off completely is not ideal. i have most things on a timer where i can easily reduce or increase as needed. also, 1500 mg is okay : )

OP
OP
E

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First you turned skimmer off and with no refugium or ats you had no nutrient removal. Nitrates went hog wild. Corals dont like this. Then your salinity got to 1.020. Corals dont like this. Probably both contributed to the corallls croaking.

But now that you got the fuge and skimmer back on you shoukd be good going forward. But you said you finally got around to testing. Should be testing most things weekly and some things daily. I check ph temp and salinity daily. If all this is good the rest is fixable Nd not really just a coral killer overnight.
I went from a skimmer to a Reefmat. Most things I have read said you only need one or the other. I agree with the Salinity getting too low. Miscalculating during me freaking out about the nitrates.

Should I just add the skimmer back along with my Reefmat?

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like a few consequential issues. First was the stress of high nutrients and then the rapid changes back. This can weaken and irritate corals, as it obviously did. Then the bacterial infection set in, which is killing your corals and why your torches went so fast. Euphyllia are very susceptible to bacterial infections and they kill them quickly. Ive had this exact scenario happen in my tank. What I did to fix it:

Get an antibiotic called ciprofloxacin either 250mg or 500mg tablets
Take 500mg worth of tablets and dissolve it in 50ml of rodi water.
Dose 1ml for every 10 gallons of water once a day, preferably at night, discontinue UV usage.
Dose this for 5 days.

Cipro is gentle on your biofilter but doesnt require a high concentration to work. Its my go to for any euphyllia or anemone infections and really does work wonders.

And yes, I have personally dosed this in my DT more than once and has not affected my bio filter to any degree that would cause issues.

OP
OP
E

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like a few consequential issues. First was the stress of high nutrients and then the rapid changes back. This can weaken and irritate corals, as it obviously did. Then the bacterial infection set in, which is killing your corals and why your torches went so fast. Euphyllia are very susceptible to bacterial infections and they kill them quickly. Ive had this exact scenario happen in my tank. What I did to fix it:

Get an antibiotic called ciprofloxacin either 250mg or 500mg tablets
Take 500mg worth of tablets and dissolve it in 50ml of rodi water.
Dose 1ml for every 10 gallons of water once a day, preferably at night, discontinue UV usage.
Dose this for 5 days.

Cipro is gentle on your biofilter but doesnt require a high concentration to work. Its my go to for any euphyllia or anemone infections and really does work wonders.

And yes, I have personally dosed this in my DT more than once and has not affected my bio filter to any degree that would cause issues.
I already have MetroPlex, KanaPlex and Seachem Focus. Not sure if any of these are similar to Cipro. Not even sure where I could get that stuff.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy cipro online, Neither of those meds contain cipro.

I get mine from my veterinarian
Someone else linked it and I bought some. Will be here in two days. Then I will follow the steps you provided.

Anything else I can do in the meantime?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 75 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back