What the heck is this!

Jakey_cakey1

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 31, 2025
Messages
150
Reaction score
47
Location
tamworth
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys I’m noticing this growing on my sand bed I’m not sure what hair algae looks like when it first starts could you guys determine what it is for me thank you!
IMG_7201.jpeg
 
Hi guys I’m noticing this growing on my sand bed I’m not sure what hair algae looks like when it first starts could you guys determine what it is for me thank you!
IMG_7201.jpeg
It is not hair.algae. I can't put a name to it.
 
Is this a definite diagnosis? Or could it be something else?
Nothing in life is guaranteed, but I’d be surprised if it turns out to be something else.

Is there anything that would eat this?
This what makes it so invasive and obnoxious as Tamberav described it (which is very accurate description).
There are mainly 2 ways to defeat it - either by catching early on and eradicating it manually, or using algaecides such as Flucanazole which is extremely effective against it.

I wouldn’t rush to use algaecides though, at least not unless it is a loss cause.

For now, given that it’s on your sand - I’d simply siphon it out. Than, I’d also closely inspect your tank for any other small specks of it and treat any of them immediately by applying either high PH paste (kalk/NaOH or some commercial Aiptesia control product which is essentially the same), or applying some cyanocrylate over it.
 
Demand an answer and you'll get a maybe. Not many things in life are definite.
 
Nothing in life is guaranteed, but I’d be surprised if it turns out to be something else.


This what makes it so invasive and obnoxious as Tamberav described it (which is very accurate description).
There are mainly 2 ways to defeat it - either by catching early on and eradicating it manually, or using algaecides such as Flucanazole which is extremely effective against it.

I wouldn’t rush to use algaecides though, at least not unless it is a loss cause.

For now, given that it’s on your sand - I’d simply siphon it out. Than, I’d also closely inspect your tank for any other small specks of it and treat any of them immediately by applying either high PH paste (kalk/NaOH or some commercial Aiptesia control product which is essentially the same), or applying some cyanocrylate over it.
Thank you! I will see how it goes then do what you’ve said!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 27 15.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new