what the heck is this?

SilvermistInc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is in the back of my waterbox 10 that current just has 5 mini maxis and some shrimp. It can't be aptasia, because it's nowhere else in the system. So what the heck is it?

Attachments

• 20220615_212201.mp4
    22 MB

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best guess is aptasia. Looks like aptasia, though more pale than most. Can’t say for certain without better pics. Something hitched into your system, as it’s definitely not a baby mini-maxi, best odds say aptasia.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure that's aptasia. @Eagle_Steve thoughts
Looks like aiptasia or could possibly be a type of tidal anemone. If you can gently take a credit card or similar, gently peel it off the back all and place in a small cup ith water to get a better pic, that would be helpful to ID it.

Best way to do this to ensure no gametes (eggs) or sperm is released, drain the tank enough, so that the nem is not underwater, place a sponge under the nem, but do not touch the nem with the sponge, remove nem as described above and then lightly wipe down the area with a little h2o2 (this will bust gametes and make sperm not viable)

Depending on where you got the FRAs from or if your rock is real ocean sourced rock, it could very well be a NPS nem that is not aiptasia.

Or, if you do not want to risk it, get a small syringe, fill it with almost boiling (doesnt need to boil, just super hot) vinegar, insert syringe into the nem and inject the vinegar. This will kill the nem and any gametes or sperm.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back