What things need to be considered to successfully keep a clam?

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking about eventually adding a clam into my tank, but before doing so want to make sure that I have things lined up to be able to be successful in doing so. I am thinking of either a maxima or crocea. My tank is still new has been up for close to 3 months right now. What supplements other than making sure my calcium is good would I need to consider? Any other helpful advice that you could give would be appreciated.

chris13115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams are awesome, I had a maxima and he was really cool. I would recommend him. What you need to consider is getting really intense lights (if you don't have them already) and good water flow. If you get a small one, then they need phytoplankton as smaller ones (2 inches and below) need phytoplankon to survive, keep calcium levels of 380- 450 mg/L, alkalinity level of 8-11 dKH, and magnesium level of 1280-1350 ppm. Photo adapt them and place them at the bottom, and move them up slowly. Proper water chemistry, high, intense lights, good water flow and phytoplankton is all you need. Hope this helps :D

OP
OP
B

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Chris I do have selcon on hand, is this something that would work with feeding clams?

chris13115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never used it, so i don't really know. They get most of their food from photosynthesis so make sure about the lights.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept clams before and they are a little tricky top keep, but it all depends on which you keep. I like to recommend Derasa clams for beginners. While not sexy, they do get big, and quickly and will eventually become the talking point of your reef. They lose their byssal chords as they get bigger, and really should be kept on the sand bed. They, like many clams, suck up calcium like crazy, but also need phytoplankton (Isochrysis is still the favorite, I believe). They are lower light clams, which is great for beginners, and are pretty hardy versus the other clams.

Acropora52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strong light, no predators, something to attach to.

Other then the slew of tahitian maximas that recently seemed to come into the hobby, I've found most clams relatively easy to keep in an sps environment.

Make sure to check each clam that you get in very carefully for pyramid snails. I also have a couple of fish that supposedly like to eat pyramid snails in the tank (sixline and melanurus wrasse).

Make sure that the clam is attached to a small rock that you can move around (if you want it up on the main rock structure, first let it attach to the smaller rock and then place the rock on the main reef structure).

QT anything new (generally good rule).

For a first clam, derasas and squamosas are a good idea. Remember that if treated well, they grow very fast. Make sure to leave space to grow.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with almost everything stated above except the part about clams needing phyto to live. This is a common misconception in the hobby. They get what they need from light and from ammonia "fish poo".

OP
OP
B

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question is right now I have been battling high nitrates with my tank, are clams sensitive to nitrates?

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 clams; Derasa, Maxima, Crocea. I keep them under sps quality conditions, never fed a drop of phyto and all of them are growing well and look healthy.

In order of difficulty/lighting needs from high to low; Crocea, Maxima, Derasa. I haven't kept a Squammy yet but I plan to! The Clam Grand Slam! :) (Since you can't find T. gigas anymore).

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a good thread Barbh I too am considering adding a nice clam to the candy shop

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams aren't sensitive to nitrates, they can actually help a little bit with nitrate reduction.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Shauno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability and consistency are major keys in maintaining clams.

Another thing I did not already see mentioned is the specific gravity. I keep mine at 1.025-1.026 as I have had the greatest success with clams at this SG.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like sps, the key is stability, light, and the like occasional phyto unlike sps, they prefer lower flow.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.7%
Back