OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you are running, I guess... Do you have a sump?
No sump. I was thinking about making a refugium in a 5-10 gal tank. My FOWLR tank is a 30 gal cube with lots of live rock and live sand. I want to be able to cultivate copepods so that my fish have a source of live food.

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image1.PNG What is this? I rarely see it.

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mad a cheap DIY refugium out of an empty 5 gallon bucket. I've heard of people making a small one using a hang on back filter. Mine has water flow from my sump.

A separate copepod growth tank only needs an air pump, a heater and food. Check out Algae Barn for good starter culture. You should be able to grow phytoplankton in a jar on your windowsill to feed the copepods. I would set up the copepod jar/tank near the phytoplankton jar and use a gang valve to split air flow from the pump into both containers. (My plan before I made my refugium that's connected to my sump)

I hope that's clear, and helpful.

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mad a cheap DIY refugium out of an empty 5 gallon bucket. I've heard of people making a small one using a hang on back filter. Mine has water flow from my sump.

A separate copepod growth tank only needs an air pump, a heater and food. Check out Algae Barn for good starter culture. You should be able to grow phytoplankton in a jar on your windowsill to feed the copepods. I would set up the copepod jar/tank near the phytoplankton jar and use a gang valve to split air flow from the pump into both containers. (My plan before I made my refugium that's connected to my sump)

I hope that's clear, and helpful.
Thanks so much....

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So I think I need to add more live sand to my aquarium. I have my goby/pistol shrimp pair and they have tunnels under all of my live rock. I just want to add more so they can dig more. Can I safely add more sand with the fish and cuc still in the tank? Or would it be better to do when I decide to move my tank and I have everyone in 5 gal buckets? Thanks

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s going to be awhile before I can add anything else to my tank. We are still in a hotel and my fish are being cared for by a friend until we get back into our apartment. I was in the LFS the other day and I saw a beautiful black and orange clown ( can’t remember what kind) and I was wondering if I can add one to my tank that already has a clown that is a different kind. Princess Leia is still a little small so I know I need to wait but I think it would be cool to have two very different looking clowns in my tank. I also want to know what it would take to add a anemone for my clown fish. Lights etc ( I currently have a FOWLR tank with just blue and white LED lights). I also want to know which type of anemone is safe for all of my fish( mandarin, watchman goby, pistol shrimp, and crabs and snails). I have read that some types will kill fish. Thanks for any input. Like o said it will be awhile but I need to know what to expect. Thanks
Virginia.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 102 77.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back