What to add first?

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 66g w/rear sump - 50g DT - just finished cycling. I also have a 20g Nuvo fusion QT with several pvc tubes thats also cycled with a couple of Marine Pure cubes in rear sump. Obviously will add to QT first, so least aggression I was thinking a pair (not mated) of purple firefish and either a Rainford's goby or a small Fairy wrasse. Will the firefish get along even though they're not mated and if yes will they get along with the R. goby or F. wrasse? Between the latter 2 I prefer the R.goby. The 3 need to be together in the QT for 4weeks. TIA

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The firefish will not get along even if there not a pair. But otherwise all 3 types of fish would get along. I would add the Rainford goby , firefish and then wrasse. <—IMO

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they all about the same size?
You have a Marine pure block in your QT system? If I read that right that’s no good. It will hold any and all medications you use. Most of us do not use anything but good old water changes daily or every few days for our QT tanks.

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes all same size approx. 3/4” - a little over 1”. Marine pure holds only nitrifying bacteria. I know other hobbyists that use it in QT fw/sw and medicate. Depending on meds used especially if antibacterial it will kill off some of the bacteria. Carbon & certian resins (chemipure or purigen) will adsorb the meds. I’ve used MP cubes in my fw QT without any problems several times. Plus depending on strength of med(s) used I might throw the cubes out and start a cycle again for a new batch of new fish.

@James M ru suggesting 1 firefish instead of 2, 1 Rainford’s Goby and 1 wrasse in QT?

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only get 1 firefish.
Thanks for ur opinion. Now I'm a bit confused. A couple friends I know that have reef tanks say 2 firefsh as long as they are small are ok. Also spoke to reps @ vivid aquariums who said that 2 purple f. are ok because they are 'communal' fish and @ saltwater fish .com who said basically the same thing.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many saltwater fish are sequential hermaphrodites.

Clownfish are protandrous hermaphrodites, meaning they start out as neuter, transition to male, then if conditions are right, transition to female.

Wrasses, gobies, and anthias are protogynous hermaphrodites, meaning they start out neuter, transition to female, then if conditions are right, transition to male.

Hermaphrodites are much more adaptive in social settings.

Firefish genders are set at birth. And they are intolerant of consexuals. Thet are often intolerant of those of the opposite sex as well. Unless they are a bonded pr already, or become a bonded pr, you will only end up with one.

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many saltwater fish are sequential hermaphrodites.

Clownfish are protandrous hermaphrodites, meaning they start out as neuter, transition to male, then if conditions are right, transition to female.

Wrasses, gobies, and anthias are protogynous hermaphrodites, meaning they start out neuter, transition to female, then if conditions are right, transition to male.

Hermaphrodites are much more adaptive in social settings.

Firefish genders are set at birth. And they are intolerant of consexuals. Thet are often intolerant of those of the opposite sex as well. Unless they are a bonded pr already, or become a bonded pr, you will only end up with one.
Thanks for the info. Since I haven’t been able to find a “bonded pair” online to purchase, I guess I’ll have to go with 1 firefish.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back