What to add next?

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All, I have a 100g (60x18x20) with lots of LR and just a few zoa and clove frags which I are growing.. a three to four inch sand bed with smaller bits of LR mixed into it, empty shells, etc.. a few hermits, conches, snails.. pair of fire shrimp.. Very healthy pod population.. Right now it's a friendly community of the following fish..

Sailfin Tang
Foxface
Coral Beauty
Flame Hawk
Six Line Wrasse

The sailfin can be a little bossy around the nori clip but for the most part everyone gets along VERY well.. I am wondering what to add next.. Like maybe a jaw fish or goby? pair of clowns? I like both fish that have a den or spot they hang out also ones that swim in the water column... The current five have been together for about five months... I don't want to disrupt the current harmonious vibe but I know it can be a bit of a roll of the dice.. just getting ideas.. Thanks much!

Last edited:

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A randals prawn goby with a pistol shrimp would be a fun addition for something hanging out by a den. I also have a sailfin, foxface, and melanurus wrasse. I just added a green canary blenny to the mix and he hangs out in the water column.

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions!! I’ve always wanted that goby pistol shrimp pair... I think I finally have a really good tank for them... loads places they can make a nice den... for the blenny I’m running an open top
18A91FE0-143E-4938-83E4-7AAB32CB82AF.jpeg
So I’d be worried about a carpet surfing incident... but I reckon that’s a risk with any fish... I have a good pod population so I was thinking about a mandarin too... not much of a water column swimmer but cool addition... I was thinking yellow tang or bristle tooth but hoping the sailfin doesn’t get too territorial with it... what about a small niger trigger?? Im sort of FOWLR with some zoas and cloves... my plan was to keep it simple with zoas and stuff and maybe an elegance coral at some point.. triggers are sooo cool..

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A mandarin would be a great addition as well. I love triggers, but whatever coral you put in the tank will more than likely become snacks for him. Your setup looks good! If you are worried about the tang aggression, try hanging a mirror on the side of the tank for him to look at. It should keep him distracted with himself and make adding another tang go smoother.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 169 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back