What to do in my situation?

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an orchid dottyback that seems to have something bacterial and something parasitic. When I try to get a pic it ducks. I can’t get anything clear. I’ve tried to take apart the rocks but it lives inside the rock so I can’t get it. It eats but only things outside it’s burrow. I have inverts in my tank and I get can’t get him out of the dy. Are there any options for treating the dt? It doesnt have corals

I have metroplex, Kanaplex, prazipro, and malachite green on hand.
Here are some pics to try to get an idea.
F61FB8E7-E707-440E-BBB2-FD229C79C51E.jpeg
BD8917A2-6208-4850-A253-80533915997D.jpeg

I think the larger white spots are scales that were ripped off by fish attacking it in the tank when it was added. And the wounds have gone bacterial

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have an orchid dottyback that seems to have something bacterial and something parasitic. When I try to get a pic it ducks. I can’t get anything clear. I’ve tried to take apart the rocks but it lives inside the rock so I can’t get it. It eats but only things outside it’s burrow. I have inverts in my tank and I get can’t get him out of the dy. Are there any options for treating the dt? It doesnt have corals

I have metroplex, Kanaplex, prazipro, and malachite green on hand.
Here are some pics to try to get an idea.
F61FB8E7-E707-440E-BBB2-FD229C79C51E.jpeg
BD8917A2-6208-4850-A253-80533915997D.jpeg

I think the larger white spots are scales that were ripped off by fish attacking it in the tank when it was added. And the wounds have gone bacterial
The blue lighting is making it hard to detect if it caused by bite marks or simple injury but while saltwater fish have the ability to heal quickly and on their own, this one is of concern for potential infection and at minimum, I would add reef safe Ruby Rally Pro or a quarantine tank treated with Seachem kanaplex

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue lighting is making it hard to detect if it caused by bite marks or simple injury but while saltwater fish have the ability to heal quickly and on their own, this one is of concern for potential infection and at minimum, I would add reef safe Ruby Rally Pro or a quarantine tank treated with Seachem kanaplex
I’m in Canada so ruby rally isn’t an option. I’m thinking of feeding kanaplex?

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also I’ve noticed the dottyback has a pretty nasty case of ich. my only option is to feed metroplex. Thoughts?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
also I’ve noticed the dottyback has a pretty nasty case of ich. my only option is to feed metroplex. Thoughts?
Metroplex not the answer.
Best is to quarantine the fish and treat with coppersafe at therapeutic level 2.0 for a full 30 days
Metro can help but it is imperative to dose proper amount by gram weight which is rarely successful and often overdosed
Can you still add pics under white lighting for confirmation?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’m in Canada so ruby rally isn’t an option. I’m thinking of feeding kanaplex?
Kanaplex feeding not favored in food but suspended will address bacterial- not ich
Acriflavine May work

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Feeding Metroplex is not a good option. If you make a gel diet preparation with metro at 0.5%, the dose will be correct, but it still does not work for external issues - there is poor flow of the medication from the fish's gut, to the blood stream to the fish's skin.

It looks to me that aggression has caused some of this damage. Are the fish separated that might have caused this?
Copper or hyposalinity is the best choice of treatment for marine ich, but of course not if invertebrates are present.

Jay

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metroplex not the answer.
Best is to quarantine the fish and treat with coppersafe at therapeutic level 2.0 for a full 30 days
Metro can help but it is imperative to dose proper amount by gram weight which is rarely successful and often overdosed
Can you still add pics under white lighting for confirmation?
i can’t quarantine because the fish is impossible to catch.

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding Metroplex is not a good option. If you make a gel diet preparation with metro at 0.5%, the dose will be correct, but it still does not work for external issues - there is poor flow of the medication from the fish's gut, to the blood stream to the fish's skin.

It looks to me that aggression has caused some of this damage. Are the fish separated that might have caused this?
Copper or hyposalinity is the best choice of treatment for marine ich, but of course not if invertebrates are present.

Jay
Then what are my options?

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
The 2 fish are now seperated yes

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then what are my options?

Your best two options for ich would be copper or hyposalinity in a treatment tank. There really isn't a good "next best option". That said, I would want to see clearer photos to try and determine if this fish actually has ich, or if it is just missing scales.

Jay

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best two options for ich would be copper or hyposalinity in a treatment tank. There really isn't a good "next best option". That said, I would want to see clearer photos to try and determine if this fish actually has ich, or if it is just missing scales.

Jay

+1 on the Hyposalinity. I've only had to deal with marine ich once and it was on a puffer in QT.

I slowly dropped to 1.010 and waited for ich to disappear. Then I slowly came back up to 1.026.

I've still got him and he's very happy.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 43 22.9%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 109 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back