What to do next after a crash?

Polymate3D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone

I have had a Fluval Evo aquarium running for over a year. It was going really well after using what worked for me in the past before a 8+ year gap.

Then I took the stupid decision to bond my rocks together one night with DD Epoxy. Talc released and no skimmer. Woke to fish and some inverts dead. Moved remaining corals and inverts to my QT aquarium. Left things for over a month, monitoring parameters and doing water changes (20% each week) until things stabilised back to normal.

Since then I have got a Dwarf Angelfish and a clownfish at different times. The Angelfish had flukes which was treated with a Praziquantel treatment and water changes between the treatments. Did this 2 times over 2 treatments. They showed a good improvement and then 3 days later went down within 24 hours. The clownfish which was a couple of weeks later died within 3 days of what looked to be brooknella (No treatment was started for this).

Being very shaken by this situation (I'm clearly not into killing things and my past experience was never close to this) I did a 50% water change after finishing the treatment and put the corals from the QT tank back into the main tank, due to the light not being great in the QT tank (50<120 PAR for softies, but were under 80<220 PAR prior).

Since doing this, my Kenya tree is fine. My GSP looks rough but coming out. My Palys and Zoas are closed now for over 7 days, never opening. Some of the Zoas have gone, and I am thinking my emerald crab is eating them, but he never did before.

Prior to all of this, the inverts and the corals all go along perfectly. Water quality when tested was decent in my eyes as well, but I am just too scared to take my next step without seeking others opinions. Fish / Invert wise I do not plan to do anything between now and the 1st week of June to give the tank over 35 days since anything else was done.

Parameters:

Salinity = 1.025
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 10
Phosphate = 0.08

My head is saying get some hydrogen peroxide and dip the entire rocks for something like nudibranchs, and also help with the bubble algae on one rock, but what should I do?

Write the tank off and start from scratch again?

Treat the tank like new and dose bacteria?

Leave it a long time and see what happens?

To help clarify, inverts in the aquarium currently are fine. parameters are stable. Corals look rough or closed up, except the Kenya Tree. Seneye Reef confirms PAR levels are as they were as well.

Thanks for reading so much

- Paul

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are fine. The first case is obvious, those sticks of putty can do a lot of damage to a tank, especially without a skimmer, now you know.

The second case, I am guessing your tank is evo13.5? is much too small for an anglefish, surely it get stressed in that small tank and spread the stress to the clown. (If not a 13.5 then I apologize for assuming.) You also skipped the quarantine so could have introduced the disease to the tank.

I think just 5 minutes of googling would have prevented both cases. No need to completely reboot the tank, just read in advance to avoid these easily avoidable cases. Now you should leave the tank fallow for the disease to die out, then strt stocking again. Good luck

OP
OP
Polymate3D

Polymate3D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are fine. The first case is obvious, those sticks of putty can do a lot of damage to a tank, especially without a skimmer, now you know.

The second case, I am guessing your tank is evo13.5? is much too small for an anglefish, surely it get stressed in that small tank and spread the stress to the clown. (If not a 13.5 then I apologize for assuming.) You also skipped the quarantine so could have introduced the disease to the tank.

I think just 5 minutes of googling would have prevented both cases. No need to completely reboot the tank, just read in advance to avoid these easily avoidable cases. Now you should leave the tank fallow for the disease to die out, then strt stocking again. Good luck
Thanks for taking the time for such a in depth reply.

Yes the tank is a Evo 13.5 (Back filtration section is removed and my own filter design was fitted into the back right corner, so display is larger than default). In the 1st year I had a cherub angelfish which went great until he just wasn't around anymore. Ate that night and fit as a fiddle. Next day I looked about and couldn't find him anywhere. Never showed any signs I could see of stress.
This recent one was a Bicolor and again, he seemed just fine with many places to hide away if they wanted too. I always saw stress as them not wanting to swim about or racing frantically around. Maybe I should reconsider my choices though.

The Epoxy I read the guide it came with and watched the BRSTV video on using it and neither covered it off in a way I was concerned. (DD states 1:5000 cases can result in distress, BRSTV didn't say anything). Again my action was likely too fast and in looking it up further in hindsight it was clear elsewhere (including here).

Im currently planning 35 days. Would you say that's reasonable or go longer? I'm not looking to rush, but to create the strongest foundation I can.

Appreciate the luck part and the time / insight.

- Paul

OP
OP
Polymate3D

Polymate3D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry that happened to you. I did something (or didn't do something) to kill my 90 about 12 years ago. It sucked. Get back on the horse.
Thanks for the words. I'm definitely not dropping it. Prior to my 8 year hiatus I was doing well for around 10 years with a dwarf lionfish and Marine Betta so I am not dropping it for sure.

Saying that, I'm not here to making these living organisms lives hell but to give them a nice ecosystem. The oceans are struggling enough without my stupid mistakes, hence reaching out for the advice

- Paul

OP
OP
Polymate3D

Polymate3D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick bump with a additional update.

Zoas and Palys still closed and seem to be getting smaller. Kenya tree seems unhappy. Metallic long GSP doesn't look great but is out and seems okay.

Trochus snail was on its back. Placed against glass and looks to be dead now. The only invert in the tank I can see still going is a emerald crab.

Now heres the kicker. Even Aptasia is dieing in this tank! 2 look to be completely gone and another one is on the move but shriveled up.

Tests still look great. Light levels in the 90 to 200 PAR region. Checked at stray voltages but that's okay. Something seems really off in this tank to me.

I'm currently considering a ICP test at this point.

OP
OP
Polymate3D

Polymate3D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still not going well. Kenya tree constantly sulking now as well

Zoas and a Aptasia:

1000017059.jpg

Kenya Tree:

1000017062.jpg

And the Metallic GSP:

1000017061.jpg

I really don't see this as being normal after a week or longer now except the GSP

OP
OP
Polymate3D

Polymate3D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another day, another sign something is seriously wrong:

1000017083.jpg

2 dead bristle worms. It's been nearly 6 weeks since the crash for epoxy / talc now and I have done 2 30% water changes in that time.

Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, salinity and temperature are all still showing okay.

Nothing about this aquarium seems normal right now.

- Paul

OP
OP
Polymate3D

Polymate3D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last update until I make a big decision.

I am away for a week on holiday and so I have done a 25% water change. Did another just to dilute anything that could be a issue. Will see what's happening when I get back. Found more dead bristleworms this morning.

If you read this and there is no comment from me after this, assume everything kept dieing and its better to just cut your losses.

I hope however I return and can give some positive news

- Paul

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following in hopes we hear from you again in a week!

cbranin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
put some hydrogen peroxide in a bucket of tank water and soak your rocks in there to get all the algae off

Rappa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe get some Cuprisorb? You may have some metals in the water leached from the epoxy. I run it every now and then just in case. With such a small tank, tiny problems become huge. Just simply putting your hands in the tank with some leftover soap on them could wipe it out...

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 29 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 44 22.9%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back