What to do with a decorator fish?

DrGiga

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had multiple jaw fish who were decorating around their house by rearranging shells and stones. However, my problem is with a blue hippo tang. This guy takes frags from one side of the aquarium and throw them on top of other corals or other places in the tank. I had her since she was a baby. now she is about 7" and can move fairly large frags that are attached to the small rocks.
Recently, she began to break pieces of my large frogskin acro and rearrange them in different areas of the tank. Sometimes she just dump them on top of other SPS colonies and if I do not pay attention it bleaches other corals. I really like this fish and do not want to get rid of her, but I don't know what to do with her.
I just want to share in this form and see if some of you have experience with this type of decorator fish and how to correct this behavior . Thanks

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had multiple jaw fish who were decorating around their house by rearranging shells and stones. However, my problem is with a blue hippo tang. This guy takes frags from one side of the aquarium and throw them on top of other corals or other places in the tank. I had her since she was a baby. now she is about 7" and can move fairly large frags that are attached to the small rocks.
Recently, she began to break pieces of my large frogskin acro and rearrange them in different areas of the tank. Sometimes she just dump them on top of other SPS colonies and if I do not pay attention it bleaches other corals. I really like this fish and do not want to get rid of her, but I don't know what to do with her.
I just want to share in this form and see if some of you have experience with this type of decorator fish and how to correct this behavior . Thanks
I have had a few fish that “hate corals” and they did the same thing. They seem to not want to live with coral growing in their tank spaces?
The only solution is to glue the fish to the rock work or take it back to the store. They don’t change ime.
:)

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back