What to do with algae on acro tips

  • Thread starter Thread starter nim6us
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

nim6us

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 22, 2017
Messages
575
Reaction score
433
Location
UK
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently moved from Gyres to MP40s and apparently I blasted the flesh off this poor acro. I’ve now moved the MP40 and it’s recovering, however algae has grown on some of the tips.

Should I snip all the tips to remove the algae or leave it alone?

IMG_6513.jpeg
 
I recently moved from Gyres to MP40s and apparently I blasted the flesh off this poor acro. I’ve now moved the MP40 and it’s recovering, however algae has grown on some of the tips.

Should I snip all the tips to remove the algae or leave it alone?

IMG_6513.jpeg
I've had tips recover but not this many at once.
IMO,
I am inclined to say snip most if not all.
It's not going to look pretty after.
 
Yeah, I would like to know how the experts handle it. Usually I just let it be and hope the acro heal or grow over it.
 
I've had tips recover but not this many at once.
IMO,
I am inclined to say snip most if not all.
It's not going to look pretty after.

I'm in it for the long haul, so I'm fine with it looking a bit unsightly until everything grows back. I'm mostly just concerned about what's best for the coral.

Am I helping it by snipping all the tips or is that just more trauma it doesn't need and the problem will resolve itself over time. Last thing I want is to fail to act then the coral has die off as a result of the algae growth.
 
I'm in it for the long haul, so I'm fine with it looking a bit unsightly until everything grows back. I'm mostly just concerned about what's best for the coral.

Am I helping it by snipping all the tips or is that just more trauma it doesn't need and the problem will resolve itself over time. Last thing I want is to fail to act then the coral has die off as a result of the algae growth.
The algae will irritate the coral, that is why I suggested to snip. Trauma or not, they break in the wild and still grow. It's fine.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new