What to do with dying bryopsis?

RacingTiger03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my new tank I started having a problem with nuisance algae. Last week I started carbon dosing, and even though my tests were showing no nitrates and phosphates, the algae has started to die off and turn brown at the base. The bit my CuC can handle is getting eaten nicely and not growing back, but should I manually remove the rest, as there is quite a bit in the tank. I'm somewhat afraid to remove it because of the pores that are released and their potential to re-grow. I THINK that shouldn't be an issue now as I've also swapped to RO/UV treated water from WM for now as checking my water it wasn't coming out as great.. guess my filters exhausted on me.

The main question, is it better to let the algae die off and let the skimmer do it's thing, or should I manually remove as much of the dying bryopsis as possible?

barbianj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As it gets loose, just siphon it out and replace the old water with fresh salt water. You'll be doing mini water changes in the process. Don't worry about spores if the stuff is on the way out.

OP
OP
R

RacingTiger03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks fellas, I'll suck out and remove what I can by hand before my weekly water change this evening :D
All I need is water fowled by dying algae -.-

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 51 34.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 38 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 28 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back