What to do with extra Seahorses?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just wondering if anyone is breeding seahorses and what do you do with the extra fish.
LFS offers are laughable as anything less than $25 for 4” sub adults erectus is almost at a loss and given the work, not worth it.
Are there any buyers for lots of 20-40 fish?

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just wondering if anyone is breeding seahorses and what do you do with the extra fish.
LFS offers are laughable as anything less than $25 for 4” sub adults erectus is almost at a loss and given the work, not worth it.
good luck.. i use to breed berghia. i could not get an LFS to buy them and ended up eventually selling them to a wholesaler in Los Angeles (where everyone gets their fish from)... for a while I would see my berghia in local LFS's ... i thought wow..

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good luck.. i use to breed berghia. i could not get an LFS to buy them and ended up eventually selling them to a wholesaler in Los Angeles (where everyone gets their fish from)... for a while I would see my berghia in local LFS's ... i thought wow..
Roger that...I’ve seen 1st hand the exact same thing. A LFS offers only 1/4 “wholesale” for livestock to local hobbyist but is willing to pay 4x as much for wholesale livestock; sight unseen
My only logic for this is to discourage livestock trade in’s from local hobbyist w/o specifically banning them or alternatively they are truly trying to beat you outta a few dollars ...

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think of an LFS as a car dealership. They will offer the lowest price possible to maximize their return. IMO, if you want to get the most profit for your stock, sell directly to the consumer via CL or a similar platform

Good luck,
Steve

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think of an LFS as a car dealership. They will offer the lowest price possible to maximize their return. IMO, if you want to get the most profit for your stock, sell directly to the consumer via CL or a similar platform

Good luck,
Steve
yeah, “Cars Salesman” is a good analogy, I’ve met “Mr Haney” in a few LFS selling “Betta Water” and “Aquarium Salts” et ...
what is “CL”?

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Craig's List?
Naw, and H3ll-2-da-naw after watching the “Ohio Craigs list killers” work their magic on Court-TV :p
How long have you been raising seahorses?
not long; about 2yrs ago I panicked here on R2R with my 1st surprise batch. Since then I’ve raised about 30 to adult and I currently have another 45 2” juveniles and another 85 3wk hybrid fry (which are trending with a high chance of survival)

eldouble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS sell one every few weeks from a local breeder. It is just not a high demand item. I know, I bough the one that had been there 6 weeks. But only getting 1/4 wholesale is ridiculous. I sold my clowns $1 over wholesale, and they were happy as can be dealing w a local breeder. But I was licensed.

aaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems the easiest solution is to wholesale entire lots of youngins...home hobbyist can only raise so many adults
Hi, I would cautiously inquire what a batch of 10 would cost... I respect the fact that whatever you charge would be at a loss and I’m not trying to lowball. But if the price was right I might bite.

Reefing_addiction

Corals and Cronies over Crack
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a shop near me (Colorado) that does things on a consignment type deal. Maybe try that?

Are you on Facebook? Maybe try those groups? Rules of Facebook is you can’t sell livestock. But you can post them as if you were rejoining them keep price negotiations to pms

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back