What to do with uncured rock?

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool. I may go this route as it seems more clear cut to me. The sand I have is used, but is dried and I assume dead. I planned on just trying to add a small amount of live sand with it and the the bacteria booster with it.

That should work sand wise, just depends on which bacteria you use for cycling. As an example MicroBacter Start XLM says not to be used with any live sand as it will prolong cycle.

OP
OP
S

Sludgysnail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should work sand wise, just depends on which bacteria you use for cycling. As an example MicroBacter Start XLM says not to be used with any live sand as it will prolong cycle.
I haven't done enough research on that to know yet. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

OP
OP
S

Sludgysnail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of acid would I want to use on the rock?

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have set the rock in both a trash can and in the tank during the cycle. Both are good, just depends on how you want to proceed. I would just add it to the tank, that is what I did on my current new tank.
Same here- I just rinsed it off really well and found a small piece of old dead coral or something stuck on the rock and cleaned it off- its Tonga rock so its pretty straight forward with whatever is on the surface. Then I placed it in my tank. The pieces are so huge a heavy that I just stacked very little of them securely until I decide to put in some glue or putty. But I dont think ill have to. Its a new tank so im cycling the rock with my tank.

IMG_3406.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back