What to dose in a 20 gallon water box mixed reef

clownfishlord18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting a mixed reef and want to know what I need to dose and have the levels right before I get coral. Any advice on amount brand and levels please fill free to speak.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't really know what you need to dose untill the system is at least cycled and even then probably not untill you add corals and see how your levels are by testing. For me dosing is not something I would look forward to doing. It can get complicated, things can go wrong, and if it's not needed why do it? It's something I would do only when needed. I like to keep things as simple as possible. I think the one of the worst things someone can do on a new tank is start chasing numbers and adding stuff. Let the tank mature and see how things go. I do dose, but just 2 part on a my smaller tank to keep alk stable and kalk in my larger tank for the same reason. Smaller tank uses more all so I use 2 part and evaporation is too erratic on my larger tank or would just add it to the ato.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting a mixed reef and want to know what I need to dose and have the levels right before I get coral. Any advice on amount brand and levels please fill free to speak.
While common practice today to add coral to a new aquarium, letting the aquarium age before adding coral might be more important than dosing chemicals to a new system.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say no need to think about dosing until your tank is several months old. Then your tank will tell you (through testing) what needs to be dosed.

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the previous comments 100%. But when you do, do yourself a favor and buy a Kamoer doser. It’s cheap and it will make your life super easy. It’s a single doser so you can dose All for Reef. My 13.5 gallon mixed gets about 3ml a day in 12 doses. But it’s really not an urgent thing to get right away, an ATO however…. In my opinion is a must for a nano.
9D927547-1CB5-42C9-A63B-101EFDDEEBE4.jpeg
14603B55-ED0D-49AB-91EB-B729B0329A13.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back