What to put in my refugium?

MikeD88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon setup with a 30 gallon sump/refugium. The display has a 1"-1 and 1/2" sand bed. I'm going to be running a bermuda 5c skimmer (rated up to a 400 gallon). I'm curious as to what you guys think I should put in the refugium? I was think miracle mud but don't know if its worth the $. what about just rubble and chaeto? Any suggestions?

softiegirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
couple inches of sand, live rock rubble and chaeto/caulerpa. the caulerpa does so much better in my fuge than chaeto for some reason! will you have a light over it? i also toss bad crabs, unruly snails down there to clean house.

OP
OP
MikeD88

MikeD88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
couple inches of sand, live rock rubble and chaeto/caulerpa. the caulerpa does so much better in my fuge than chaeto for some reason! will you have a light over it? i also toss bad crabs, unruly snails down there to clean house.

I can add a light easy enough... Thank you, sounds like the plan that I will do.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 I've had good luck with this too.

xrayrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not put any crabs in a refugium! The idea behind a refugium is to create a "refuge" where the macro algae and pods are not being eaten by fish and crabs. Crabs, even hermits will eat the pods. You want them to multiply, so they spill over into the return area, and get sent into the display tank for the fish to eat. Make sure to remove the filter on your return pump so the pods can make it through. I use only rubble and macro, no sand. Dentritus tends to collect in the sump, and is easier to clean out if there is no sand. Sand should be in the display tank, for denitrification, not the sump. Good lighting will help the macro grow faster.

OP
OP
MikeD88

MikeD88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically just rubble and macro? With the protein skimmer I'm running, I don't think it needs to be anything too crazy

pisces4u

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, I would use some sand or mud, live rock, and caulerpa.

I would avoid rubble unless it's a cost issue. A pile of rubble will create dead spots and accumulate detritus and can become a nitrate factory. A couple large live rock pieces to provide shelter for microfauna and anchor caulerpa will be better in the long run.

I have caulerpa, chaeto, and mangroves in my refugium and I think caulerpa is the most effective of the 3. You need to light it 24/7 to prevent it from going sexual, but it grows much faster than the others and will remove nutrients faster.

Back