What Topics Do You Think Are Avoided in YouTube Videos?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Hey Reefers! Instead of rehashing popular topics for views, I like to make videos that actually help fellow hobbyists. Are there certain topics you feel are not discussed on YouTube? One example I came up with a while ago was tips on leaving the hobby. I’m sure there are a few other not so popular topics that influencers and sponsors would prefer to avoid, luckily I’m not one or have any! So what do you think?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
I feel that most videos condition other hobbyist to think that they have to profit from their hobby. Which leaves people's tanks looking like they're in a perpetual beginning stages.

It would be nice to see people talk about the benefits of not worrying and just let nature take its course and allow corals to fill the tank.

Another topic would be the differences we see with pictures of pristine tanks and the anxiety it inflicts on unsuspecting hobbyist vs acrual real reef tanks. People need to be made aware of the fact that 90%+ successful tanks don't look like, nor operate in such a manner.

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
I feel that most videos condition other hobbyist to think that they have to profit from their hobby. Which leaves people's tanks looking like they're in a perpetual beginning stages.

It would be nice to see people talk about the benefits of not worrying and just let nature take its course and allow corals to fill the tank.

Another topic would be the differences we see with pictures of pristine tanks and the anxiety it inflicts on unsuspecting hobbyist vs acrual real reef tanks. People need to be made aware of the fact that 90%+ successful tanks don't look like, nor operate in such a manner.
Yeah, there is definitely a lot of hype surrounding the monetary value of coral. It really annoys me that these animals are compared like jewelry or cars. I have a lot of coral, but I would never boast about what I paid for, or how much they would sell for. I think highlighting the natural appeal and not the superficial is a great idea! Thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back