What type of algae??

Slick Willy 46

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My buddies been struggling with what we believed to be Cyrano algae. It's on the substrate. He did a siphon on the substrate, a water change and added chemiclean after all that failed. Now I wondering if it is dinoflagellates. What are your thoughts and best way to move forward?? Thanks.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddies been struggling with what we believed to be Cyrano algae. It's on the substrate. He did a siphon on the substrate, a water change and added chemiclean after all that failed. Now I wondering if it is dinoflagellates. What are your thoughts and best way to move forward?? Thanks.
Picture would help identify the algae.

OP
OP
S

Slick Willy 46

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 46

ReeferSway83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is actually mine, it's 2 years old, The algae comes and goes with my light (Redsea 90s). It starts off dusty then the thicker areas turn slimy. It has more of a reddish hue, but i will get some better close up pictures with no blue lights and vice-versa to help identify later tonight.

ReeferSway83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you get it under the scope? It looks like a combination of things. If it's 2 years old it's probably still stabilizing
No scope, but this would be my 2nd cycle through with algae since I've had the tank. My phosphates are at a .10 and Nitrates are 0, which is the lowest I've seen since starting up my tank. I do have a 25W UV filter, protein skimmer, and chaeto in my refugium.

ReeferSway83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No scope, but this would be my 2nd cycle through with algae since I've had the tank. My phosphates are at a .10 and Nitrates are 0, which is the lowest I've seen since starting up my tank. I do have a 25W UV filter, protein skimmer, and chaeto in my refugium.
That is the first time I've ever been that low, I check my levels after every water change and it had been dropping last couple of months. Normally I keep them between 1-5ppm. I've upped my feeding amount, is there a preference between frozen and pellets for nitrate boost?

ReeferSway83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some more zoomed in shots of the algae.
20240110_191102.jpg
20240110_190928.jpg
20240110_190908.jpg
20240110_190900.jpg

shootingstar_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a mix of diatoms and something else to me. I don't think one type of food is better necessarily for increasing NO3, but if you wanted to be in more control the food-grade sodium nitrate is an excellent option for dosing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back