What type of red algae am I experiencing?

Backtoreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a year old and I’m at the end(hopefully) of an algae and maybe bacteria cycle. Started out as what I thought was Cyano after dosing Vibrant for about 6 weeks to try and rid some thick gha patches I can not reach. Tried to let the suspected Cyano run its course but it started to irritate some coral so I took the next step. I ran the recommended dose of Chemiclean for 48hrs and observed it only removed about half the problem. I called Chemiclean and was instructed to do the water change and run another dose, which I did 48hrs after the water change. The second dose again took care of about half of what was left, leaving only a very thin dry looking layer of red patches on rocks in some spots and very short but thick patches of red, fuzzy, thick, slimy, hard to remove turf looking algae in other spots. I did another water change and stopped everything for almost three weeks now. Here’s what happened, it grew for a day or two and it got a very dark thick red. Then it slowly turned a lighter red, followed by a bright florescent orange that looked awesome under blues at night, lol. Shortly after it died back leaving either a fresh layer of coralline algae or a very clean old layer. Rocks are looking better then ever now and while this cycle is still finishing in some places, all the green hair algae has died back about 95%. I wish I took pics of the whole cycle. One other thing that happened about 3-4 days ago, a hatch of at least 100 tiny white snails appeared for the first time, probably just coincidental but figured I’d mention it. I’ll get some pics of what’s left soon. Another note, my fish and coral showed no signs of stress throughout both doses of Chemiclean and are still doing fine.

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there Backtoreefing, did you ever find out what kind of red algae you have? Maybe it would help if you posted a picture.

OP
OP
B

Backtoreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry it took so long. This is the dark red stage. It should get mush lighter, then turn florescent orange before it dies.
BDA993B8-DBAE-41EB-B118-FCE0912BD05B.jpeg
005FF3C6-1D48-4931-9734-6757B062B5A6.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 33.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back