What type of sand is everyone using?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JerSaint
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Yeah the small stuff generally sifts to the bottom over time
 
Used Tropic Eden for the past few years in two of the three tanks I have, other tank has CaribSea. My personally experience and from what I have seen first hand in my tanks is that the Tropic Eden stays much cleaner even without stirring up the sand bed from time to time versus that of any other substrate that I've used in the past. I have used a few different types of the CaribSea and Natures Ocean in the past and nothing even comes close to the Tropic Eden.

I've found the best mix to be with a 2:1 ratio of Reeflakes to Miniflakes . I've found with this ratio that the Vortecs do not blow the sand around and it gives a nice overall natural look.

Cheers,
Alex
 
Is the Tropic Eden live sand when you order it? I'm always reading that buying bagged live sand is a waste of money.
 
I'm asking because I need some sand now for my tank that I'm starting up.
 
so smaller grain on the bottom and larger on top? Or just mix them?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 12 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 7.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new