What type of sand is everyone using?

tjnorthdakota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Natures Ocean Samoa Pink #1 grade. Like it so far, its a finer grain sand somewher between oolite and caribsea special grade. Has more pink tinge than the caribsea fiji or bimini pink though

todda5914

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CaribSea special grade waiting to go in new 75 when things slow down at work and I have the time.

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petsmart. Caught it on sale for like $10 a ton

aereaus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk what the blackest sand is but I can tell you some of the negatives -- in my experience it grows more algae because it tends to absorb a lot more light. So, youll need to keep your water clean to avoid that issue. Also black sand doesnt reflect light either so there will be less refracted light in the tank

aereaus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also im not sure refracted was the word I was searching for lol diffused is probably more appropriate

aereaus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably lol lets face it, english isnt my strong suit. In any case, i love my black sand. Just sharing my experience :)

Mark3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably lol lets face it, english isnt my strong suit. In any case, i love my black sand. Just sharing my experience :)
I had black sand once ...kept it about a year or so, don't remember any problems with it, just got tired of it, added white ...that didn't look good. looked like salt&pepper. ..have used plain white ever since then.
Moved here to Florida almost 7 years ago, that's when I changed to the sugar beach sand, ...wanted the Florida beach look in the tank.

aereaus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive always ran white sand, current tank is the first one with black works fine for me

mila sheehan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added three layers to my tank, bottom layer has gravel, mid layer has yellowish sand from the beach and top layer has white argonite sand..

mr.Green

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the different properties of the different grain sizes? Will smaller ones stay on top, or will larger grains stay on top (if you mix it and let the tank have it's way with it)?

I'm setting up a new shallow system (75*60*30 cm) and thinking of doing a DSB (8 cm), but not sure yet. I've only ever had experience using fine grain (about 2 cm, worked nicely) and coarse grain (about 3-4 cm, collected a lot of detritus, and didn't go so well) in two separate tanks. I'm puzzled what to try next.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back