What type of Snail?

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Joined
Sep 5, 2020
Messages
3,066
Reaction score
12,143
Location
Vermont
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of snail is this?

It looks like the north east (of the picture) area of the shell the spiny portion is broken off if that helps.

7CA2D870-EE2C-44EA-87B3-36921F8F2444.jpeg
 
I have a scarlet hermit crab in a shell exactly like that right now, but I can't remember if the crab came with the shell or he just "requisitioned" it.
I have some shells from traveling that look similar but don’t think I’ve ever seen one with the actual snail still alive either.
This one definitely has a foot, I’ve see it glide around the glass.
If it comes back around I’ll try to get a closer picture.
 
It's a muricid snail of some kind - not sure what genus/species (there's ~1,600 living species in the family), but it's almost guaranteed to be a predatory snail. They generally eat things like bivalves (clams, oysters, etc.), gastropods (snails and slugs), and barnacles. So, there's a very good chance it would eat your CUC.

Fun fact, most muricid snails have larvae that don't go through a planktonic stage, so they could actually be hatched and raised in a tank relatively easily.
 
Looks like typical shell of a conch
 
If I had to guess, I'd guess a Chicoreus sp., but ID'ing snails has always been difficult for me.

A couple general rules of thumb I've found helpful (though not always applicable) for identifying if I should be concerned with a snail: extra spiky shells are usually muricid snails, and shells with extra long, narrow openings by the front (the side away from the spiral) are usually whelks.
 
After banning the snail to the 3rd area of the sump (just a skimmer and a few of these black snails which have made their way down and through), I did notice today it did indeed appear to be hunting and eating other snails
91E03EDE-479F-4D74-949B-F718B24F2776.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 25 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new