What types of Macroalgae do you have in your Reef System? Are they beneficial so far?

Do you use beneficial macroalgae in your reef system?

• YES (tell us about it in the thread)

Votes: 206 56.1%
  • NO

Votes: 82 22.3%
  • Not yet but want to add some

Votes: 68 18.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 11 3.0%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good Monday to you all!

What types of Macroalgae do you have in your Reef System directly in your display, sump or refugium?

Why do you keep the macroalgaes that you do keep? What are the benefits for you?

image via @Subnautica
20210410_194231.jpg

Piscans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i never wanted to have a ton algae in my tank, but in the end, even the "harmful algae" turned out to be an integral part of my system. whenever i had no algae, all my corals werent doing well. now, all my corals are actually growing and thriving. same with my fish, & i have a ton of algae in my system. i feel like the algae is an important player in nutrient regulation and contains many minerals and microorganisms that are benefical to the fish and coral.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
N&P stay low in my system so I don't use beneficial algae. I've tried it before and never has it gone well for me. I've tried Cheato and an ATS in other systems. For me, a lot of live rock and a moderately effective skimmer seems the best option. I do dose a little live Phyto though... just to feed the Pods. I don't think it is enough to export much N & P.

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't yet because I've always had nano systems with no way to really run a refugium. I've recently been trying to research a way to plumb in a display refugium tank into the same system with my new 62 gallon reef tank.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the looks of certain macros but I am on the fence with keeping them in the display. Algae tend to use allelopathy against corals according to my research.

I do have red bubble algae in the display in a few spots. I don't let it take over by any means though. I think it looks good but I doubt most would count it as a macro, certainly not a desirable one.

If I'm wrong though please let me know. I think macros would look great with corals to an extent even if not something that occurs on an actual reef with sticks which I want to have dominate my reef.

Edit: I just realized that what's in the sump counts. I have chaeto in my sump. It can pull out nutrients like nobody's business when it's in it's groove.

Last edited:

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not entirely sure it is on much value other than place to breed rotifers and pods. I am certain it has no effective use on pH swings as I carefully meter stirred kalk at night. I slowly learned a full spectrum light is better and medium flow is needed.

I found real benefit of refugium is I can observe for algae types growing. I saw some usual nasties in past but now grow turf algae indicating a normal healthy system. . The other benefit is a I can keep a few breeding midnight Oscilaris.

Last edited:

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not entirely sure it is on much value other than place to breed rotifers and pods. I am certain it has no effective use on pH swings as a carefully meter stirred kalk at night. I slowly learned a full spectrum light is better and medium flow is needed.

I found real benefit of refugium is I can observe for algae types growing. I saw some usual nasties in past but now grow turf algae. The other benefit is a I can keep a few breeding midnight Oscilaris.
How does the macro assist you in breeding clowns?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Monday to you all!

image via @Subnautica
20210410_194231.jpg
What types of Macroalgae do you have in your Reef System directly in your display, sump or refugium?

I have macro algae both in my display and my refugium/sump. I keep them because I like the looks of mostly all macro algae, plus the nutrient uptake is also nice.
Right now I have gracilaria (near the sand) and codium (upper left) and some sort of grassy turf macro algae (on gorgonian plug). So far these are the varieties that have flourished in my system. I do hope to expand to more varieties now that I have LED lighting.

IMG_20220629_143911236.jpg

Last edited:

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deliberately:

Halymenia
Halimeda
Gracilaria
Agardhiella
Udotea
Pencillus
Galaxaura

Hitchhikers:

Ulva
Codium

Last edited:

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fuge with some chaeto, Caulerpa prolifera, Caulerpa brachypus and some kind of red halymenia.
I am slowly decreasing the amount of macro in the fuge because I struggle to keep nutrients up in this way.

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all sorts of green stuff growing in my refuge. At least 3 species that I never thought to check on and see what they are. Hard to tell what is growing with that bright pink light. I just saw green growing and thought to myself "Good Bye Nutes"

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Both of my tanks currently have refugiums. that said I may convert one of my tanks into an all in one, if so I plan on growing some decorative algae in the display.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to grow hair algae in my algae turf scrubber! However, since vodka dosing, my turf scrubber has turned into growing bacteria on the screen. (huge globs of bacteria.) I didn't know bacteria liked red light, but it's a mix of hair algae and bacteria. Really interesting results.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back