What use to store rodi water

Jreefer85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the best place to buy a large storage contaner for rodi water? I need to make a large quantity of water in one shot to have on hand for top-offs and water change. Id prefer not to use a brut trash can and get some water contanier with built in spout at the bottom.

salt2salt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put a spout on the bottom of the trash can. Very simple

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where is the best place to buy a large storage contaner for rodi water? I need to make a large quantity of water in one shot to have on hand for top-offs and water change. Id prefer not to use a brut trash can and get some water contanier with built in spout at the bottom.

As you mentioned a Brute container is a common option. Another option is a polyethylene container from a farm store (or comparable). I recently set up a saltwater mixing station with (2) Norwesco polyethylene tanks.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
55 gallon barrel with a good lid. I cleaned my barrel out either this year or last year for the first time in a couple of years. It was very clean and not even worth doing. I only have a TDS meter in line so I didn't check, but any tds creep would be something I put in, there was no bacterial slime or anything. I drilled a hole in it and use a uniseal since it's round instead of a bulkhead. There is a bit of pvc with a ball valve.

They are readily available most places used for cheap, just make sure whatever was in it first was food or food grade. Mine had tomato juice in them, and yes they did smell for a while, but I put bleach in them and sun dried them and eventually the smell went away. I've been using the same ones for 6 years or so.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Cant beat a brute container.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of tank suppliers on line problem is delivery is as much as the tank. Depending on where you are Farm & Fleet, Tractor Supply and similar stores carry them or can order for you. Amazon has some as well but that gets into shipping costs again....good luck let me know what you find out, haven’t started my build yet but this is something I am looking for also. Likely 3 or 4 -25g tanks.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size?
Rv water containers come almost sealed, pop a hole where you want it.
Mine is 16 gallon, opened up a top hole to drop in the tunze ato pump.

Heart of Dixie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are sellers on Craigslist in my area selling 10 to 50 gallon, plastic, food grade containers. The 30 gallons units with a lid are $30. Thick, easy to drill plastic, putting a valve in is very easy.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Cant beat a brute container.

Ah, yeah you can.

1608597587683.png
1608597625451.png

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
55 gallon barrel with a good lid. I cleaned my barrel out either this year or last year for the first time in a couple of years. It was very clean and not even worth doing. I only have a TDS meter in line so I didn't check, but any tds creep would be something I put in, there was no bacterial slime or anything. I drilled a hole in it and use a uniseal since it's round instead of a bulkhead. There is a bit of pvc with a ball valve.

They are readily available most places used for cheap, just make sure whatever was in it first was food or food grade. Mine had tomato juice in them, and yes they did smell for a while, but I put bleach in them and sun dried them and eventually the smell went away. I've been using the same ones for 6 years or so.
Same thing I use. Check craigslist for 55gal Barrel... Usually there's a couple people selling them straight from use at a food supply/factory of sorts.

I asked the different sellers on CL what they were used for and found one that was for Soy Sauce, but the soy sauce was in a separate sealed bag inside, so I paid like $40 for a brand new/clean 55g drum with removable lid.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I had poly containers and not cheap but easy to say the most rugged. The small necks Vs. a brute makes it limited at times to work with utilizing an ATO pump

They are not as cheap and I hear you about the neck but they are easily the most efficient when it comes to volume stored vs foot print.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love snap top drums. I bet if you google it there is a wholesale container supplier within a few hours. I found them brand new from a wholesaler for like $60. This is what I got, love em!

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, reviving this thread for a quick question. Using a water barrel to store RODI water, how long can that water sit? Lets say I use 20 gallons, instead of using 20 gallons next week, and then the last 10 later, I just top it off again with my RODI filter. Is letting water stand for that long okay? Or should I just dump it and refill it?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi, reviving this thread for a quick question. Using a water barrel to store RODI water, how long can that water sit? Lets say I use 20 gallons, instead of using 20 gallons next week, and then the last 10 later, I just top it off again with my RODI filter. Is letting water stand for that long okay? Or should I just dump it and refill it?
My rodi water in the 55 gallon barrel storage I use gets depleted in 3-4 weeks. The 32 gallon topoff container for my 240 gets refilled about every 2 weeks. When I'm filling one, I always top off the other. So I don't empty the container or dump anything.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have RO/DI sit in a brute with a lid for a month or so. I have a TDS meter in the barrel, it never gets above 3 or 4 TDS, and most people just contribute that to dust in the air since it's not completely sealed.

I have never had an issue in 30 years.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.7%
Back