What VOIDS are in this hobby and where can we improve?

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just curious if anyone thinks there are any voids in this hobby? Whether it be a need for better equipment, better practices, etc.. Where we were 20 years ago is completely different than now, we have made a lot of advancements which allow us to keep the tanks we have now and certain corals we couldn't before.

What are you thoughts?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm gonna like this thread!

Dom274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby has a complete lack of cohesive, sensible advice for beginners. For example, there are over 3,100 replies in the dino thread. How is a beginner supposed to make heads or tails out of that thread? If one didn't know better and were reading that thread, they could think that you NEED a microscope to properly identify the type you have, otherwise your treatment plan wont work. What? Seriously? I don't even need to know much about biology to fix this issue, let alone a microscope. It's easy to see the dinos get worse with increased lighting, so we can assume they are photosynthetic to at least some extent. That means to fix the issue, all you need to do is temporarily reduce your lighting and/or nutrient levels to starve them off. How much specifically? Don't know, keep going till the problem is fixed. I can tell you with 100% confidence that if I blocked out all light to the tank for 2 months, the dinos would be gone... There you go, problem solved in 1 post. Why are there another 3, 099 replies? Talk about completely over analyzing the situation...

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Affordable real time microbial population and expression profiling. Know not only what species are present in what raitos, but also know what they are proteins (at least RNA) they are producing in real time. Could make comparisons across systems and even the natural reef itself.

Dom274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Affordable real time microbial population and expression profiling. Know not only what species are present in what raitos, but also know what they are proteins (at least RNA) they are producing in real time. Could make comparisons across systems and even the natural reef itself.

I honestly don't understand any of this. Are we talking about a hobby, or a college thesis paper?

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby has a complete lack of cohesive, sensible advice for beginners. For example, there are over 3,100 replies in the dino thread. How is a beginner supposed to make heads or tails out of that thread? If one didn't know better and were reading that thread, they could think that you NEED a microscope to properly identify the type you have, otherwise your treatment plan wont work. What? Seriously? I don't even need to know much about biology to fix this issue, let alone a microscope. It's easy to see the dinos get worse with increased lighting, so we can assume they are photosynthetic to at least some extent. That means to fix the issue, all you need to do is temporarily reduce your lighting and/or nutrient levels to starve them off. How much specifically? Don't know, keep going till the problem is fixed. I can tell you with 100% confidence that if I blocked out all light to the tank for 2 months, the dinos would be gone... There you go, problem solved in 1 post. Why are there another 3, 099 replies? Talk about completely over analyzing the situation...
Only issue with this is coral need the light to survive.

Dom274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only issue with this is coral need the light to survive.

Hey, no one asked for you and your logic to join the conversation ;Wacky

You're absolutely correct. I was using an extreme example intentionally. In reality, I would cut back the photo period over the course of a couple of days to just a couple of hours or whatever starts getting results. If I had to go further, I would temporarily re-home the corals for a couple of weeks while the main tank settled down.

JonPhillips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just curious if anyone thinks there are any voids in this hobby? Whether it be a need for better equipment, better practices, etc.. Where we were 20 years ago is completely different than now, we have made a lot of advancements which allow us to keep the tanks we have now and certain corals we couldn't before.

What are you thoughts?

None. Great people and products in this hobby. Not all companies/products are good, but, to me, reef keeping is a beautiful craft handed down from generation to generation. We learn for the past and evolve into the future. Beyond equipment, there are people who just plain love reef keeping. They’re not gear heads. They buy what works, tweak it, leave it alone, and let it flourish. Thanks to the connectivity of our world today inspiration and help with tank issues are just a click away. Simply splendid.

Dom274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reef keeping is a beautiful craft handed down from generation to generation. We learn for the past and evolve into the future.

Lol. Pottery is a craft that has been handed down generation to generation. Aquariums have only been around for 60 years or so, is that even 1 generation?

"In 1805, Robert Warrington built the first aquarium. Unlike the glass sealed options we have today they were sheets of glass held together with steel. They had no heating, light or filters like modern day tanks. This often meant fish would not live for long due to the unsuitable conditions. The first under gravel filter was not introduced until the 1950s, which also saw the introduction of flake food rather than live food. With better tanks, more filtration and longer life expectancies, it became easier to breed fish in captivity."

Last edited:

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, no one asked for you and your logic to join the conversation ;Wacky

You're absolutely correct. I was using an extreme example intentionally. In reality, I would cut back the photo period over the course of a couple of days to just a couple of hours or whatever starts getting results. If I had to go further, I would temporarily re-home the corals for a couple of weeks while the main tank settled down.
Lol, just one more issue with that. If the dinos are on the corals, wouldnt they come back when u put the corals back in?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back