What makes the hobby so important to you?

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like a lot of us, this hobby means a lot to us. Whether it is the friends we have made in the hobby, the joy we get from maintaining a salt water tank or for some maybe even a career. I am wondering what makes this hobby so important to you? Curious to know what everyone says!

legalizedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a reef obsessed person living in the Canadian prairies. If I lived in Hawaii I would scuba dive every day. This is the next best thing for me.

We also have long, brutal winters here. Not much time is spent outside for about 5 months. This gives me a slice of the natural world during those times.

I also find the complexity keeps my mind busy. You can make this hobby as challenging as you’d like to and I love that. I have pretty severe ADHD and before this hobby I was would hobby jump. I’d be fully invested in one thing, quickly lose interest and then on to the next thing. Once this hobby gets “boring” I just pick the next thing to re-complicate it again. Whether it be more difficult corals, equipment, etc. I love that I can observe something like low pH or ORP and then spend hours and hours looking in to my options to remedy that.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For me, it's the gratification that comes from all the effort (and money) that goes into the tank on a daily basis. There's a ton of work and stress, but then you see those lovely, colorful polyps waving in the flow and you are greatly rewarded.

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew up on a farm and growing things is in my blood. I used to have a garden that I tended, but in January of 2022, I had an incomplete spinal cord injury and my life turned upside down. I had to move out of the house with the garden into an apartment that was handicap accessible while I went through multiple surgeries, stays in rehab, and a ton of neuro physical therapy to learn to walk again. Thankfully, I'm almost fully recovered, but my garden is gone and gardening probably isn't the best pastime for me anymore.

I had a reef tank several years ago that I loved, but it didn't occur to me to think about having another one until I saw an ad for a LFS. I started thinking and realized that a nano tank might be a nice substitute for my garden and with the help of my older teenaged kids (17 and 19) for the heavy lifting, I could manage it.

So, here I am. I like tending things like plants or corals because I find it relaxing and it connects me to nature in a way that I need. I just don't feel like myself unless I'm growing something.

xWascallyWabbit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, it's the opportunity to be creative from designing, building, and setup of a tank. Then the planning of livestock and the rewards/challenges of keeping it all alive. When people visit they love seeing the tank and what creatures I have inside. This hobby provides so much to keep you learning and engaged from chemistry, lighting, fish, corals, to tech or gear. It's all there. It can be as challenging or pricey as you want it to be. It teaches patience and delayed gratification. Consistent work with slow returns. But all said and done, when I sit down and look at the tank I'm proud of the effort.

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1692894156468.png

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, it's the opportunity to be creative from designing, building, and setup of a tank. Then the planning of livestock and the rewards/challenges of keeping it all alive. When people visit they love seeing the tank and what creatures I have inside. This hobby provides so much to keep you learning and engaged from chemistry, lighting, fish, corals, to tech or gear. It's all there. It can be as challenging or pricey as you want it to be. It teaches patience and delayed gratification. Consistent work with slow returns. But all said and done, when I sit down and look at the tank I'm proud of the effort.
Well said! My thoughts exactly!

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree with this!

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The challenge of growing a living reef. The beauty of it, along with the trails and tribulations to get there!

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^agreed. There is constant learning, especially with all the different ways people run successful tanks. I feel like there is also nothing more relaxing after a stressful day than sitting and looking at your tank.

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it brings me back, I'd say it's alot of nostalgia
I can agree with this, I remember being a kid and us having this big 75-100g tank with all sorts of fish in it. I never really did anything with it since I was young, but I remember looking at it all the time.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i love the sea. this hobby makes it so i can keep a piece of the vast ocean in my living space!

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot to it for me.

First off, I've always wanted to be a marine biologist/zoologist, but I ended up in engineering due to schools and potential job locations after college. I enjoy engineering a lot, but the reef takes me back to my true passion.

Secondly, I live in the middle of the Mid West, so there's nowhere I can go to snorkel. When I go on vacation on the coast, I could snorkel all day every day. Being able to have that little slice of reef in my living room is priceless.

Thirdly, I am a busy body. I like to keep busy and keep my mind busy. I'm easily bored and the combination of the research needed, community to talk with, and work to be done on the tank keeps my mind busy and is super relaxing. I also enjoy a challenge and this hobby is humbling as we all know.

Finally, the reefing community is one of the best and most supporting community out there. There are some people that keep trade secrets and withhold information, but for the most part, the community shares information openly and tries to advance the hobby. Most of the community genuinely wants to help others and are supportive when you fail. Try to find another hobby like that.

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot to it for me.

First off, I've always wanted to be a marine biologist/zoologist, but I ended up in engineering due to schools and potential job locations after college. I enjoy engineering a lot, but the reef takes me back to my true passion.

Secondly, I live in the middle of the Mid West, so there's nowhere I can go to snorkel. When I go on vacation on the coast, I could snorkel all day every day. Being able to have that little slice of reef in my living room is priceless.

Thirdly, I am a busy body. I like to keep busy and keep my mind busy. I'm easily bored and the combination of the research needed, community to talk with, and work to be done on the tank keeps my mind busy and is super relaxing. I also enjoy a challenge and this hobby is humbling as we all know.

Finally, the reefing community is one of the best and most supporting community out there. There are some people that keep trade secrets and withhold information, but for the most part, the community shares information openly and tries to advance the hobby. Most of the community genuinely wants to help others and are supportive when you fail. Try to find another hobby like that.
I can agree with the busy body! It feels weird when I have a day when I don't have anything to do, I feel like I need to be doing something all the time haha. Also, this community has been amazing too!

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s always so redeeming to see life thriving in the tank. Whether it’s pods or coral growth, I can sit for hours and watch life play out in this little ecosystem.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back