What was/is your favorite fish ever and why?

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's cliche' but my favorite is the Mandarin Dagonet; with Maroon Clown running a close second.
Mandarin In FOWLR 003S.jpg

Maroon Clown 2.jpg

OP
OP
jcolliii

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those red and blue mandarins are hard to beat for awesome color and behavior that is really interesting to watch. I used to love watching mine just putz around looking for and then gulping up pods that I could barely even see. Want another one, but the price of the very tiny captive bred ones is so high. Beautiful fish though.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue regal tang I had many years ago when I put my hand in the tank he would swim though my fingers he was really tame

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roy, the murdering Picasso Trigger. Had to re-home him to a college kid's tank. He killed EVERYBODY that was anywhere below his size.

Bloo, Niger Trigger. Bloo was a surfer dude. He would point his face into a powerhead and surf for hours on end. Pooped these massive brown clouds and I swear you could see him smile about it. Always checking me out anytime I was in/around the tank, just like a puppy under your feet. Hated to see him choke to death on a stoopid clownfish, but it was his decision to attempt eating it.

KWT

Keep on keepin on
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have but 2 months in the hobby, but the clowns are great but my favorite PITA is my diamond goby. We usually have stare downs after he has buried another piece of aqua scape.

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So cool that you could realize your own dream and then, share it in real-time with your daughter. It doesn’t get much better than that. Very beautiful little fish. I love the colors. Even more beautiful story...
When I was younger than 10 my parents purchased me a book that showcases fish native to Australia. I saw the Harlequin Tuskfish and said to myself one day I’ll have one of these in an aquarium.. I had zero idea that salt water aquariums even existed. I’m 33 now and read that exact same book to my daughter.. but we can look at OUR REAL Harlequin Tuskfish together in our aquarium :) not only the most stunning fish in my opinion but full of personality!
A4AA478A-C8C8-41D3-9C27-056256B83184.jpeg

DC96E193-432E-4C5A-A8F3-D9D8B252A1C3.jpeg

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite fish has got to be the Redtail Trigger. Back when I first got in to keeping tanks, there was a Coral magazine that came out showcasing that fish. I was perplexed by it and did tons of research on it for years. Finally, when I got a tank large enough, I has able to buy one from my LFS. It was expensive at $160, but I thought it was worth it. I never got the chance to name the thing before it straight up just died! I had no clue as to what had caused the death and to this day I am still pondering the death of my most expensive (aquatic) animal.
Now that I have a new tank, I plan to get another next time I see one for sale. That trigger in particular just enchants me for some reason.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea Sohol Tang. Lasted about 1 1/2 years from juvenile but then too big for tank I imagine (90 gallon)....live and learn I guess....such personality for a fish....

Veveloi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my 2 favorite fish is the blood parrots they are curious and friendly with almost every fish I currently have 2 of them a male and a female

My other favorite fish is the pea puffer again they are curious but kinda violent I currently don't have one so it counts as a ''dream fish''

AJ192

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite is the Achilles tang and is pry the reason I’m getting in the hobby. But sadly my tank is a foot or two too short to keep one. Hopefully in the future though.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For FW Severums are easily my favorite. Very smart fish that is smarter than a lot of tank owners. Ive had some breeder african cichlids that were stunning to look at but they are like owning jack Russell terriers.

For salt I had a marine betta trained to take food from my hand. One of the few groupers you can keep captive.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My emperor angel. One of the nicest colored fish. Grunts too. I only dont like that hes a bit of a bully, but he hasnt killed any fish. Hasnt even stressed any to death. But hes beautiful for sure.

Next cool fish was a dog faced puffer. Fearless and cute. I loved how hed follow me around the house begging for food. Was only interested in food all day. But those teeth actually needed to be filed or fed shelled things. One day he jumped out. I came home to him on the carpet covered in slime. I thought foe sure hes dead. Picked him up amd dropped him in the toilet. I noticed he swam. what the heck? I put him back in tbe tank and he lived!

Mandarins for their grace and color.

Maroon clowns for their ultra red color. But way too mean.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d love one but not the easiest to find where I am and worried that it won’t be taking captive fare right away. How well do they go with Tangs and angels and all that? I’d love to keep one someday. I know they aren’t active and require maybe only a 4-foot 75 gallon for keeping long term.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back