What was this thing?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dave-T
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Dave-T

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 19, 2022
Messages
970
Reaction score
506
Location
Boston
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just spent several hours snorkeling in the Bahamas. I saw a few of this strange creature I couldn't identify. It was solid bright yellow. Maybe two inches across. I could see what appeared to be half a ring, but I’m not sure if it was ring shaped. It was segmented. If I waved at one with my finger, it would quickly retract.

It wasn't a Christmas tree worm. I know what those look like and saw plenty of them too. The visible part looked like a uniform segmented ring.

Very pretty. If they're reef safe and someone can figure out what it is, I'd consider adding to to my tank.

Can someone please help ID it?
 
Hard to id without a photo. Try and get one if you can!
 
I could see what appeared to be half a ring, but I’m not sure if it was ring shaped. It was segmented. If I waved at one with my finger, it would quickly retract.

It wasn't a Christmas tree worm. I know what those look like and saw plenty of them too. The visible part looked like a uniform segmented ring.
Could you elaborate on this description a bit? Was it burrowed like a Christmas Tree Worm? Is this description of the entire body of the creature, or just a part?

If it was worm-like, my first thought would be a yellow sea cucumber, but I'm not sure how quick they would retract.
 
It was hard to tell. I think I saw 3 or 4 of them in hours and hours of snorkeling. They were each by themselves, and in a small crevice each time. The only part exposed was what appeared to be a segmented yellow ring. If I waved my finger at them, they retracted quickly. I couldn't tell what the hidden part was. The yellow segmented part was even, with each "segment" being a ring and all the rings were the same size. The yellow was very bright and striking.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new